Site Sponsors

Thread: Brilliant paper

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant paper

I've been using Calumet's Brilliant L/G papers lately and find I really like them with the Epson 3800. No, it's not an artsy brand, not cold pressed by gnomes in a magic forest, and it won't make dung marketable, but it's a very nice 300 wt paper that works perfectly with existing Epson profiles. A drop-in substitute for premium luster and exhibition fiber (glossy). Nicer (L) or as nice (G) as the Epson papers at almost half the price; there's just something very refreshing about a non-pretentious, reasonably priced, every-day plain paper that just looks good. And I can go pick it up locally whenever I run low! In fact, I've gotten into a habit lately of loading up 8.5x11" sheets ($40 for a box of 100 at Calumet) and proofing like mad from LR3. Basically, any keeper goes on paper. I then sit and thumb through the proofs; there's really nothing like seeing an image on paper if like for me this is your end product.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Brilliant paper

Well should we make a mad dash down the street this weekend? I got an email from Calumet San Francisco today that the Brilliant paper is on sale "buy two get one 1/2 off" let's just say 25% off on two.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Grrr, of course they have a special today!!! I stocked up yesterday.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually read the add wrong and found out once at Calumet. It said Buy 2 get 1 half off. So what the small print says is buy 2 and get the third one half off. So, feel better!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I should mention that the G paper is somewhat flimsy and not so great for mounting. So my recommendation is mainly for a cheap proofing stock, and some experimentation. The L paper is sturdier and potentially mountable (I'd still prefer something heavier myself).