Site Sponsors

Thread: Setting up Epson 3800 for the first time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Setting up Epson 3800 for the first time

I'm about to load inks into my 3800. Any starter tips beyond what the Epson docs say? I've got Jack's profiles (from last year), and an i1pro to make my own.

Lars
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Setting up Epson 3800 for the first time

Enjoy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I didn't do anything special. I got mine back in April and here are the instructions I got from Jack at the time...this is for Mac and I know you are windows....

All you need is the basic printer and either a USB2 or Network cable. the printer arrives with a full set of inks and even a few sheets of paper to run the head check and alignment tests. Instead of loading the drivers off the CD that ships with the printer, you'll want to go to the Epson site and download the newest drivers for Leopard. You will also need to instal the Epson remote panel utility -- install this after the driver. If you are connecting over network, there are few other files you'll need to download and install. FInally, when you feel up to it, there is a firmware upgrade for the printer -- not critical, and a somewhat arduous task using the remote panel utility.

Other than that, all you need is paper and images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks I'll take a look at the firmware update.

Images, check.

Papers... looking at my stack of papers (mostly used for my old 1270), I cannot help but wonder what papers will be compatible with the 3800 inkset. Here is a list of the papers that I have lying around:

Epson Archival Matte / Matte Heavyweight (my favorite for proofing)
    Epson Durabrite
    Epson Premium Glossy
    Epson Colorlife
    Ilford Galerie Smooth Fine Art Paper
    Ilford Galerie Classic Gloss Paper
    Ilford Galerie Smooth High Gloss Media
    Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl Paper

Also interested in recommendation of paper type for presenting "fine art" landscape photography portfolio.
    Last edited by Lars; 21st August 2008 at 05:19.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You might find Eric Chan's web site useful:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan...800/index.html
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lars:

Just a few extra points... Epson has changed the names of their papers 8 or 10 months ago, and slightly altered the formulas. Luster, now called Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster, is slightly different than the older Premium Luster paper and takes the inks a bit better. Gloss suffered the same name change weirdness and frankly I cannot tell any difference. The old profiles will work okay.

My favorite coated papers for the 3800 are UPPP Luster and Harman FB Al Gloss, the regular not the warmtone. For art papers I still like Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art.

Hook up should be easy, just download the latest drivers from the Epson site, and make sure you install the remote panel utility (but do it after the driver install) so you can update the firmware and run the advanced nozzle checks and cleaning.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try the Epson Traditional Photo Paper (as it is called in Europe, or at least in France. In the U.S. it is called Exhibition Fiber - although it is unclear whether these are really identical). Epson lists a profile for the paper just below their drivers, it is not loaded with the other Epson profiles when you install the driver. And as has been indicated already above, Eric Chan's website is a very valuable resource for the printer. You will really enjoy this excellent and trouble-free printer.