The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My New Print Wall

Diane B

Here are the links for the other manufacturer of magnetic paint and other magnetic things (Magically Magnetic) http://www.lyt.com/servlet/StoreFront and another source for magnets http://www.supermagnetman.net/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=4be6ffe1416676ca116539f8914e2d95

Terry, that site is what started me off on the hunt last night but I never saw that photo. I only saw the one on their home page which is only a slice of the hanging steel and photos. This is much better to see what they were talking about. I will say I prefer your wall to the hanging steel though.

Godfrey

Thanks!

Similar issues here .. Your solution is inspiring. Felipe liked it too. :)
So... Now I have to start thinking about how to use the idea creatively here.

Fun, fun, fun!

Terry

I got my magnets from here:

Let's see if I can drive up the price of rare earth stuff even further....for those who have followed rare earth minerals :D
http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

I'm using rod shaped.
I bought a few packs of the 0.125 diameter at 0.5" long. These are smaller and thinner but seem to be holding a 17x22 inch print just fine.
I also bought the 0.25" diameter 0.5" much heavier much more expensive.

My word of advice rare earth magnets are very strong. Get something where you can get leverage to take them off so you don't mess up the prints and possibly the steel by trying to get a grip on them or slide them to the edge.

PeterA

ILU AU space EQUITY on Bloomberg Terry and for a bit more risk..LYC AU space equity..

Nice idea btw..

tsjanik

Hi Terry:

I used a similar approach by using the 1950s vintage, white steel kitchen cabinets in my house. Addition of daylight blubs in the overhead lights made for a great print viewing station. Since I saw the prints everyday, I had time to really evaluate them. The only cost was the rare earth magnets (and occasional objections from my wife). Unfortunately, my wife has finally persuaded me to have the kitchen redone and the steel cabinets are to be replaced by wooden ones. I may try two magnets, a larger one behind the door and the other on the surface mounted print

Here's another source of the magnets.
http://www.amazingmagnets.com/sf-disc-magnets.aspx?pagenum=2

Tom

Terry

The panels are about 1/2" deep. That depth came from bending the edge of the steel to make it like a very thin box. We designed it that way so they could be hung from cleats attached to the wall. Similar to the way you would hang a large piece of art. The panels are actually quite light. Like 25lbs. It also gives a very nice finished look to the edges.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Oooh - how did I miss this thread? This is such a neat approach to hanging your art and letting it 'age' appropriately before deciding whether to frame or not too.

Hmmm. I'm going to have to look into this further. Right now I use my print view station which is ok for a single print under D50 lighting but no good for a collection like this. The stainless steel approach a very elegant decorative solution also!

Stuart Richardson

Haha, I missed it too! I am doing the same thing at my lab! Not so nicely set up though -- I just bought a 2mm thick steel plate and screwed it into the wall. Very effective though. I use Solux 5000K, 3500K and 4700K lights on track lighting as necessary to proof the prints. It used to be nice and set up in my old lab, but I moved recently and had to just toss it up on the wall quickly before renovations at the new place. I had a big exhibition to print and needed it for the proofs! So it will look nicer than this when the new place is done...
I use a mix of neodymium magnets and some heavy duty standard magnets made for dry erase boards.

By the way, I have not heard great things about magnetic paint -- it works ok for light objects and small pieces of paper, but not for large prints or heavier paper stock. If you want a good magnetic hold, nothing beats a fairly thick metal sheet and strong magnets. With my setup, I can hold up a 1mX1.5m print on 320gsm paper with 4 tiny neodymium magnets.
The only other downside to this method of display is that there is no inherent UV or environmental agent protection. I would recommend this for short term or non-serious display only. If you want the work to last for years, then you will need to put it behind good glass or laminate it with a UV blocking coating.

Terry

The only other downside to this method of display is that there is no inherent UV or environmental agent protection. I would recommend this for short term or non-serious display only. If you want the work to last for years, then you will need to put it behind good glass or laminate it with a UV blocking coating.
Hi Stuart,
Yes, that is the downside but the good news is that for a small sum I can print another one if after living with it for a while I decided to invest in framing a shot. Before this it was a bit of paralysis because I was never sure what I wanted to get framed so nothing ended up being displayed.

I bought magnets in a couple of different size. Yes the little ones pack quite a punch but I also like the .25" diameter .5" length rods a lot.