Site Sponsors

Thread: My New Print Wall

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My New Print Wall

About 2 months ago I got inspired by a gallery that was showing prints hanging on a galvanized steel panel. Hanging something by cables wasn't ideal for my space and I was limited a bit by getting something in the elevator to my apartment. What we came up with was three steel panels side by side. The panels are about 46" x 60" making the full installation about 144" x 60". The big prints are on 17" x 22" paper. It was just installed earlier this week and my first batch of magnets arrived yesterday.

The Panels were grained and clear (satin finish) powder coated and look similar to what stainless steel appliances look like. I bought a bunch of rare earth magnets in various sizes to see what worked best.

So here is what I had on hand already printed...and I used up all the magnets I had on hand. But I am thrilled with the way it turned out and will have a lot of fun being able to change up the wall without having to do lots of framing.

See my post below with kudos to John and Luke Milich.

Next up: get the tools to trim down some paper edges.

Last edited by Terry; 18th September 2011 at 03:48.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My New Print Wall

Terry,

What a creative way to display your prints, congrats! I like the idea of being able to change them when you want and quite simply. Well done, and your prints look great as well.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Terry

Beautiful set up ! I saw a video about Jim Natchwey where he uses a similar setup (not as elegant) for editing his images . He uses inexpensive prints and arranges them on the wall ..then he can stand back and look at them for even a few days before he selects .

Very nice setup .

Post Thanks / Like

Love it.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely beautiful Terry! What an ingenious idea!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1

jm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks everyone.

So, very importantly, kudos on this project go to our very own forum members John and Luke Milich.

As many of you know John does a lot of metal fabrication.....on things much bigger than Leica adapters (like staircases and other architectural installations). When I first had the idea of doing this in my apartment I sent him an email knowing that in addition to NY that his son Luke runs the west coast shop in the bay area.

If I didn't know John through this forum and workshops, I would have had no clue on where to turn (other than an interior designer) to find someone to make this sort of thing.

From start to finish and installation the process was super speedy!!!!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! You're giving me ideas ... Felipe and I still haven't put up much on the walls of the condo, and we've been here a year now!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry - it looks splendid
    I wish we could do something similar here, but all our walls are either covered in beams or at an angle of 45 degrees from the vertical!
    Incidentally, is that book what I think it is (very flattered if it is).

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Incidentally, is that book what I think it is (very flattered if it is).

all the best
    Wow - good eyes. It is exactly the book you think it is. That table has a stack of blurb books mostly done by my classmates in a bookmaking class. Then we have yours and and Ansel Adams book in the mix.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Wow - good eyes. It is exactly the book you think it is. That table has a stack of blurb books mostly done by my classmates in a bookmaking class. Then we have yours and and Ansel Adams book in the mix.
    Well, I'm even more flattered - I'm trying to do a book of pictures of Crete right now, but 10 years worth of images makes it a big task. Added to which I think I need to do 3 versions (big, small, very small).

I'm jealous of you're wall though - what a great idea.

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Very nice! You're giving me ideas ... Felipe and I still haven't put up much on the walls of the condo, and we've been here a year now!
    That wall was empty for almost two years. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do there. If I hadn't done the steel wall I was going down the path of mounting all of my photos on aluminum. My problem is when I want to change things up, I don't have a good spot to store framed and mounted work.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    That wall was empty for almost two years. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do there. If I hadn't done the steel wall I was going down the path of mounting all of my photos on aluminum. My problem is when I want to change things up, I don't have a good spot to store framed and mounted work.
    "... store framed and mounted work.."? I hardly have enough space left to store unmatted and unframed work.

The problem here is that four of the six available walls for hanging photos are concrete. Never mind mats and frames ... putting something up then wanting to change it at any point is a major PITA. So I want to come up with a display system that is flexible yet allows for easy changes. Your steel wall is a neat idea for this kind of thing, now I need to think about how to mount panels like that onto concrete without damaging the concrete.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    "... store framed and mounted work.."? I hardly have enough space left to store unmatted and unframed work.

The problem here is that four of the six available walls for hanging photos are concrete. Never mind mats and frames ... putting something up then wanting to change it at any point is a major PITA. So I want to come up with a display system that is flexible yet allows for easy changes. Your steel wall is a neat idea for this kind of thing, now I need to think about how to mount panels like that onto concrete without damaging the concrete.
    Godfrey - I have some concrete walls as well as a concrete ceiling (it is a loft). Our construction is post tension and we can't go into the concrete at all. That is what pretty much eliminated hanging it by cables. Fortunately the wall I had available is drywall but of course not level and needs a few shims on the cleats.

Post Thanks / Like

While exploring Terry's project last night and also thinking it a great idea I discovered there is magnetic paint. Who woulda' thunk???? Rustoleum and another mfg offer it in the US. The other mfg. says you can do a coat of the magnetic paint and then a regular to match other walls (I'd have to check my bookmarks to get other mfg. name). You use the same rare earth magnets. I also found options in my area for the steel walls. I was rather amazed at the options possible using magnetization.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I completely forgot about the magnetic paint! That would have been a brilliant solution!

They also make paint that you can use a chalkboard and other paint that acts like a white board.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant! Love it! Wish I had a wall like that. Maybe a divider or screen with a felt covered bottom that can be slid around as needed, or moved out of the way...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This looks great, fantastic idea! Can you give us an idea of the price to do this?

Cheers, -Peter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    This looks great, fantastic idea! Can you give us an idea of the price to do this?

Cheers, -Peter
    Peter there is a pretty big price range of products and finishes as we looked at:

Galvanized
    Galvanized + powder coat (many colors available)
    Sand blasted
    Grained finish
    Grained finish + powder coat

I think it will also make a difference on how close you can get to using standard sized sheets of steel. For instance I could have done one panel at 60x120 but we were a little nervous about the elevator.

Of course I chose the grained finish with clear coat which was the most expensive. So, total cost installed can be anywhere from something probably around $1500 to about $2500. Believe it or not each of the panels weigh less than the equivalent sized canvas painting.

Here is the link to the blog that got this all started. I still like what they've done but it didn't work for me. I don't know the pricing but I guess it was less than what I quoted above except Luke and I discussed that the cabling can get expensive.

http://www.danecreek.com/blog/2010/1...ay-folios.html

At the end of the day I compared my cost of doing something like this vs framing and decided that this was an interesting alternative.

The side benefit....it is making my den feel bigger.

Note: I'm using rare earth magnets which are very strong for their size so I can keep them from interfering with seeing the photos
    Last edited by Terry; 18th September 2011 at 13:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for that, Terry - great info.

Cheers, -Peter

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent! I think you've solved a big problem for me

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the links for the other manufacturer of magnetic paint and other magnetic things (Magically Magnetic) http://www.lyt.com/servlet/StoreFront and another source for magnets http://www.supermagnetman.net/index....6539f8914e2d95

Terry, that site is what started me off on the hunt last night but I never saw that photo. I only saw the one on their home page which is only a slice of the hanging steel and photos. This is much better to see what they were talking about. I will say I prefer your wall to the hanging steel though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Similar issues here .. Your solution is inspiring. Felipe liked it too. :-)
    So... Now I have to start thinking about how to use the idea creatively here.

Fun, fun, fun!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got my magnets from here:

Let's see if I can drive up the price of rare earth stuff even further....for those who have followed rare earth minerals
    http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

I'm using rod shaped.
    I bought a few packs of the 0.125 diameter at 0.5" long. These are smaller and thinner but seem to be holding a 17x22 inch print just fine.
    I also bought the 0.25" diameter 0.5" much heavier much more expensive.

My word of advice rare earth magnets are very strong. Get something where you can get leverage to take them off so you don't mess up the prints and possibly the steel by trying to get a grip on them or slide them to the edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ILU AU space EQUITY on Bloomberg Terry and for a bit more risk..LYC AU space equity..

Nice idea btw..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry:

I used a similar approach by using the 1950s vintage, white steel kitchen cabinets in my house. Addition of daylight blubs in the overhead lights made for a great print viewing station. Since I saw the prints everyday, I had time to really evaluate them. The only cost was the rare earth magnets (and occasional objections from my wife). Unfortunately, my wife has finally persuaded me to have the kitchen redone and the steel cabinets are to be replaced by wooden ones. I may try two magnets, a larger one behind the door and the other on the surface mounted print

Here's another source of the magnets.
    http://www.amazingmagnets.com/sf-dis...aspx?pagenum=2

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

How are the panels attached to the walls?

I don't see any screw holes.

Brilliant idea BTW!

Texsport
    Exacta VX,500;Leica M3;Voigtlander Bessa L;Olympus OM4, OM4T,35SP,E-M5;Nikkormat FTN;Nikon FG,F4,F5;Canon EF,T90,EOS A2,EOS3,SL1;Fujica 670/690G and BL;Pentacon Six TL;Rittreck 66;Warner 66;Norita 66; Widelux F7;H XPan;Noblex 150;Linhof 617.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The panels are about 1/2" deep. That depth came from bending the edge of the steel to make it like a very thin box. We designed it that way so they could be hung from cleats attached to the wall. Similar to the way you would hang a large piece of art. The panels are actually quite light. Like 25lbs. It also gives a very nice finished look to the edges.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the bent returns also control the edge so the panels stay flatter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    the bent returns also control the edge so the panels stay flatter
    Thanks John !!!!!!! Mine wasn't the most technical answer

I'm still thrilled with it!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna put one together too.

Thanks.

Texsport
    Exacta VX,500;Leica M3;Voigtlander Bessa L;Olympus OM4, OM4T,35SP,E-M5;Nikkormat FTN;Nikon FG,F4,F5;Canon EF,T90,EOS A2,EOS3,SL1;Fujica 670/690G and BL;Pentacon Six TL;Rittreck 66;Warner 66;Norita 66; Widelux F7;H XPan;Noblex 150;Linhof 617.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oooh - how did I miss this thread? This is such a neat approach to hanging your art and letting it 'age' appropriately before deciding whether to frame or not too.

Hmmm. I'm going to have to look into this further. Right now I use my print view station which is ok for a single print under D50 lighting but no good for a collection like this. The stainless steel approach a very elegant decorative solution also!
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Haha, I missed it too! I am doing the same thing at my lab! Not so nicely set up though -- I just bought a 2mm thick steel plate and screwed it into the wall. Very effective though. I use Solux 5000K, 3500K and 4700K lights on track lighting as necessary to proof the prints. It used to be nice and set up in my old lab, but I moved recently and had to just toss it up on the wall quickly before renovations at the new place. I had a big exhibition to print and needed it for the proofs! So it will look nicer than this when the new place is done...
    I use a mix of neodymium magnets and some heavy duty standard magnets made for dry erase boards.

By the way, I have not heard great things about magnetic paint -- it works ok for light objects and small pieces of paper, but not for large prints or heavier paper stock. If you want a good magnetic hold, nothing beats a fairly thick metal sheet and strong magnets. With my setup, I can hold up a 1mX1.5m print on 320gsm paper with 4 tiny neodymium magnets.
    The only other downside to this method of display is that there is no inherent UV or environmental agent protection. I would recommend this for short term or non-serious display only. If you want the work to last for years, then you will need to put it behind good glass or laminate it with a UV blocking coating.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    The only other downside to this method of display is that there is no inherent UV or environmental agent protection. I would recommend this for short term or non-serious display only. If you want the work to last for years, then you will need to put it behind good glass or laminate it with a UV blocking coating.
    Hi Stuart,
    Yes, that is the downside but the good news is that for a small sum I can print another one if after living with it for a while I decided to invest in framing a shot. Before this it was a bit of paralysis because I was never sure what I wanted to get framed so nothing ended up being displayed.

I bought magnets in a couple of different size. Yes the little ones pack quite a punch but I also like the .25" diameter .5" length rods a lot.