Site Sponsors

Thread: Tips for printing wallet size please

Post Thanks / Like

Tips for printing wallet size please

My daughter, the high school senior, has had a professional shoot for her graduation picture. I did not feel qualified; very limited attempts by me at portrait. So, I'm glad she got a good photographer. He did get many superb shots. Interestingly, the photographer is less than enthusiastic about printing. Well, of course that can be a chore, but I thought there's money to be made there. Anyway, that's where I come in. We can get the files, and I'm glad to make prints on my new Epson R3000 for her. I've printed 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 13x19, but never wallet size of which she does want a supply. What's the best way to go about wallets? Which size paper? And to date I've never printed multiple prints on one sheet, so how best to arrange them? I use Photoshop, and I do have a pro grade trimmer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tips for printing wallet size please

Quote Originally Posted by tom in mpls View Post
    My daughter, the high school senior, has had a professional shoot for her graduation picture. I did not feel qualified; very limited attempts by me at portrait. So, I'm glad she got a good photographer. He did get many superb shots. Interestingly, the photographer is less than enthusiastic about printing. Well, of course that can be a chore, but I thought there's money to be made there. Anyway, that's where I come in. We can get the files, and I'm glad to make prints on my new Epson R3000 for her. I've printed 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 13x19, but never wallet size of which she does want a supply. What's the best way to go about wallets? Which size paper? And to date I've never printed multiple prints on one sheet, so how best to arrange them? I use Photoshop, and I do have a pro grade trimmer.
    Tom,
    I hate to day this, but sometimes the drugstore like a Walgreens or a CVS does a pretty good job for less than our material cost.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom does a great job of this with templates.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which version of Photoshop? There is a plugin called Picture Package that will do pretty much what you want. It isn't automatically installed with CS5 but was with prior versions - I think it's under the File/Automate/ menu. I believe on a Mac with CS5 you have to launch it in 32bit mode.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Tom,
    I hate to day this, but sometimes the drugstore like a Walgreens or a CVS does a pretty good job for less than our material cost.
    -bob
    Yeah, I just might do that, Bob. BTE, what are the dimensions of wallet size?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Which version of Photoshop? There is a plugin called Picture Package that will do pretty much what you want. It isn't automatically installed with CS5 but was with prior versions - I think it's under the File/Automate/ menu. I believe on a Mac with CS5 you have to launch it in 32bit mode.
    I have CS5. And CS4.
    For the life of me, I can't understand the installation instructions or installation software from Adobe. It seems Picuktre Package will only run with PS 32 bit mode, but I can't even get it to install.
    Last edited by tom in mpls; 27th September 2011 at 18:33.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Simple in Lightroom. Then you just need to cut them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to admit, I am confused about Lightroom. What does it do? I thought it was a photo processing competitor to Photoshop CS, but it is also an Adobe product so it must have a different focus. (Really, I had not intended to pun.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom has modules Library and Develop are the most used but the print module is very good for this sort of thing. When you click on print you can set up a page.

Watch the first couple minutes of this video and you can see the templates...

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-ligh...perfect-image/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tom,
    Lightroom is a photo database, photo editor and printing tool. I now do 80-90% of my work in Lightroom, jumping to Photoshop for intensive pixel pushing. Many experts consider the printing module in Lightroom far superior to that in Photoshop. Also, Lightroom uses the Adobe Camera Raw engine for raw processing and all corrections are done in metadata, leaving the raw file completely intact. In my opinion Lightroom is the best product Abode has ever made.

I'd be willing to spend an hour on the phone with you sometime next week if you'd like a hands-on introduction to Lightroom. I can help get you started with a good setup.

-Brad
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Qimage.... I even printed postage stamp size. If making any size or combination of sizes on a sheet Qimage is hands down the best way to go.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Belaboring ultimate quality for wallet sized photos seems a little over the top ... Make 'em quick, and machine prints are generally good enough. :-)

For wallet sized photos, I either use a printing template in Lightroom, gang-print and slice them up with the cutter, or I just drop a finished JPEG into iPhoto and order them that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Belaboring ultimate quality for wallet sized photos seems a little over the top ... Make 'em quick, and machine prints are generally good enough. :-)

For wallet sized photos, I either use a printing template in Lightroom, gang-print and slice them up with the cutter, or I just drop a finished JPEG into iPhoto and order them that way.
    Wow, I am way out of the loop these days. Ordering prints via iPhoto? Another lesson for me to learn. Since getting into digital years ago, I have made all my prints at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Adobe Photoshop and Qimage are a good combination. Regardless, wallets are just icky to trim. Time is better spent elsewhere. I prefer to send my wallet orders out to a pro-lab like Bay Photo. Wallets are die-cut and the rounded corners are a bit more polished in presentation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Adobe Photoshop and Qimage are a good combination. Regardless, wallets are just icky to trim. Time is better spent elsewhere. I prefer to send my wallet orders out to a pro-lab like Bay Photo. Wallets are die-cut and the rounded corners are a bit more polished in presentation.
    I'm convinced. Wallets will not be printed in house.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom, I don't even bother with 4 x 6 on larger printers. If this is a continuing project, the Canon Selphy dye sub printers have wallet size capability as well as 4 x 6, are pretty fast and not that expensive.
    Alan

Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wallets can be printed in-house, but I only give my senior clients die cut with rounded corners on wallets. I like the look. Die cutting rounded corners is an expense I don't need.

jeklin

very easy way to print wallet size, you should make 4x6 size and place your photo and re-size it to set half of a 4x6 sheet.
    -------------
    Photoshop knowledge, psd background download

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeklin View Post
    very easy way to print wallet size, you should make 4x6 size and place your photo and re-size it to set half of a 4x6 sheet.
    You talking inches? a wallet is 2.5 x 3.5 inches, half of a 3.5x5 print. a 3x4 (half of a 4x6) would be a little big to fit in a wallet.
    wayne
    My gallery

devidmicheal

I would rather send my wallet out of order pro-lab, such as the Bay Photo. Wallets are die-cut with rounded corners are a little polished presentation. I am just a drop in pre-JPEG in iPhoto and order in that way.