The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

17x25 paper?

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Anyone here buy paper in 17" rolls and cut it into 25" sheets? I'm thinking of doing this and storing in old 17x25 boxes, weighted to flatten it. Apart from getting a more practical size than 17x22 it would also save about $50 for 25 sheets. So well worth the effort. (I'd figure 15min to cut up a roll.) My main question would be whether cut rolls ever flatten enough to use as a sheet.

Edit: more specifically, I'm looking at Epson EFB.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Jan, what kind of cutter would you use? I am using 17 x 25 (some Harman, some Red River), and I hadn't thought seriously about cutting up rolls. I don't have a professional grade cutting board and I would think that trying this with scissors would be pretty impractical, if not downright silly. So I am interested in how one might do it and end up with usable sheets.

BTW, I completely agree that 17 x 25 is better proportioned than 17 x 22, and I just do not understand why there are not more choices for those of us that think so.

D&A

From the looks of the picture of the Kodak Gear M3 cutter...it looks like a rebadged Rotatrim. If so, great cutters that will do the job and I've used one to cut some 17x25" sheets from 17" rolls. The curl of a single sheet can be taken out using a product called a "de-curler". It's in some way's like a wooden rolling pin and you wrap the sheet around it, in reverse. Cutting a few sheets from a 17" roll, for when I need a sheet or two is fine.... but the prospect of cutting up an entire 17" roll and decurling each sheet, I'm not sure I'd want to go through that. I'm also uncertain if weighing down a pile of freshly cut sheets from a roll will ever get out the curl...I've never tried it. Keep us posted if you try.

Dave (D&A)

charlesphoto

Doubt you'll ever get the curl out unless you weight each individual sheet... might be time to consider a roll printer (then you can set your own sizes).