The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Prints from Capture One vs LR3/PSCS5

archiM44

My monitor is calibrated and my paper profiles made using x-rite latest software.
Prints using Photoshop or LR match the screen perfectly.
Prints using the print module in Capture One 6 pro with exactly the same settings are very slightly duller, as far as I can see due to a very slight shift towards Cyan.
I have tried this with different papers (Harmon, Ilford Epson) and the problem remains.
Capture One support acknowledged that on Mac this could occur, though not on Windows. They were working on it, but none of the updates has shown any improvement.
Since Capture One is my developer of choice, having to develop Tif's and printing via LR or CS5 is not an ideal workflow.
Anybody have any similar experience?
Maurice

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Interesting. I have the same issue. If I process the picture and then print from another application, the result is very good. I just processed some pictures for a holiday card in Aperture, Lightroom, and C1. The C1 colors were much better with little messing around, so I tried to stay with it, but the printing is way off.

Let me know if the C1 folks find a solution!

Best,

Matt

archiM44

Matt,
I have reopened my Phase One support thead and will keep you informed.
It's quite irritating that my favorite raw developer misses out on the last step making me create a tiff or jpg file for printing.
I cannot say that the printing is way off, just that there is a slight cyan cast which dulls the image and makes it seem slightly darker.
I even tried printing the x-rite target patch files out of Capture One and making a new printer profile, but that did not solve anything.
regards
maurice

MGrayson

Maurice,

Slightly darker, dull, and cyan describes the effect perfectly! It looks like the wrong printing profile is getting used. I should try letting the printer do the color management and see if that is better, but I've never had to do it before.

Thanks,

Matt

archiM44

Matt
at my request, Phase One support has reopened the case on which they had already spent much time (I sent them comparison prints of the same DNG file, screen shots showing identical monitor rendering of the file in both LR and Capture One and my printer profiles)
As always their support is excellent, so I am hopeful they may yet find it.
I'll keep you posted
maurice

MGrayson

I'm printing to an Epson 3800 from a Mac using OS X 10.7. I might try reinstalling the Printer driver and profiles.
Best,
Matt

archiM44

Matt,
I was printing on a 3800, mac OSX10.6 and now on a 3880 OSX 10.6 and both printers exhibited the same problem.
I am sticking to 10.6 for the time being bacause 10.7 doen't offer me anything I need, nor are all drivers available (nikon scan works ok in 10.6)
So I don't think it will make much if any difference to reinstall.
regards
maurice

archiM44

Matt,
Here is the message I sent to the Phase One support team.
I hope it is self explanatory.

Dear support team,
A few days ago x-rite i1Profiler software was updated.
Using the updated software and i1 profiler charts printed using the Capture One print module instead of printing from the i1Profiler software, I have made new printer profiles.
Results are now perfect and match my screen perfectly, both colors and luminance. (my mac screen is calibrated to 74 instead of 120 or 80)
x-rite now also advises printing the charts from the software used for printing (i.e. Capture one or Adobe Color Print Utility and not from their program)
Therefore the case can be closed.
With best wishes for the new year and kind regards

Hope this helps. Best wishes for 2012, maurice