The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warping/ripples in Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag on Epson 3880

NotXorc

On some 17x22" prints from the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 I am observing a puckering/waviness in the texture when viewed at the right angle. In the image attached, there are about 8-9 waves visible, especially at the far left side of the print. Visibility is highly dependent on the angle of light. After noticing this in several prints using Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag, I got another box to rule out a bad batch of paper as the cause. I got the same results with the new box. :( Color images which are low-key have a similar waviness, but high-key images and prints with lots of mid tones are unaffected. Shadows are not clipped in the files sent to the printer, so even the low-key images should not have a pure black tone present.

I tried a couple of different ICC profiles and printing approaches, but ended up with similar results on a black & white image. Tested: Eric Chan's profile, the Canson supplied ICC and ImagePrint 8. The most noticeable difference was with ImagePrint, but the difference was in the tonality of the print, not in the waviness of the printed paper.

Is there a way to change the amount of ink that soaks into the paper without changing the tones in the print? I think ImagePrint has an 'Ink Limit' parameter that can be adjusted, but I have not bitten the bullet to buy a license yet. Suggestions?

robertwright

A couple things you could experiment with if you like this paper- increase the drying time per head pass so that it loads ink slower on to the paper, or if you have that set slow, set it back to normal and try that. I had a problem with headstrikes once and I was using the manufacturers reco to extend the drying time and I found that actually it worked better for me to print quicker and get the paper out from under the head faster. So you never know.

Also depends on humidity in your house/apt- perhaps now that it is winter the low humidity is causing the paper to not enlarge enough throughout. I see you have a generous border on the print, that is what is also causing the warp- the difference between the two areas and perhaps low humidity are causing it? Try a smaller border maybe.

or change papers. I haven't had an issue with other papers like that.