The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Can Epson 7890 be tilted?

gurtch

I have an Epson 7600, and want to upgrade to a 7890 to take advantage of the $500 rebate. I live in a small condo. I made a fome board template of the footprint (54"x27"). It will fit in the space where I will put it, but getting around corners and down a bending narrow hallway will not work, unless I tilt the printer either front to back or side to side. If the shipping hardware is left on, can the printer be tilted? Can it be tilted to fit on a hand truck? I assume the printer comes on a skid with the stand seperate, is this correct?
Thanks in advance
Dave G

kdphotography

Dave,

You'd probably have an easier time removing the printer from the shipping crate---but leaving all the "securing tape" and blocks attached---and moving the printer carefully with 2 strong adults (or more). No handtruck without the crate though. I don't think it would be problematic if you worked quickly and gently in tilting the printer to move it, particularly since no inks are installed, head is locked, and moving mechanisms taped. The stand is separate and must be assembled. (I wish the printer came installed on the stand!).

I just took delivery of my 9900. Maybe I'm just getting older, but it just seems much heavier than my 9800. It's definitely bulkier and thicker in the waist. (The printer, not me). So foamcore imprint aside, take into consideration that extra girth of the actual printer (won't show on your foam core imprint) in moving around corners...

ken

p.s. I'm planning on converting my 9800 to a B&W piezography printer. Your old 7600 would be perfect for piezography as well. You just need to convince yourself that you don't need all that furniture in your condo---like a bed. :ROTFL:

gurtch

Dave,

You'd probably have an easier time removing the printer from the shipping crate---but leaving all the "securing tape" and blocks attached---and moving the printer carefully with 2 strong adults (or more). No handtruck without the crate though. I don't think it would be problematic if you worked quickly and gently in tilting the printer to move it, particularly since no inks are installed, head is locked, and moving mechanisms taped. The stand is separate and must be assembled. (I wish the printer came installed on the stand!).

I just took delivery of my 9900. Maybe I'm just getting older, but it just seems much heavier than my 9800. It's definitely bulkier and thicker in the waist. (The printer, not me). So foamcore imprint aside, take into consideration that extra girth of the actual printer (won't show on your foam core imprint) in moving around corners...

ken

p.s. I'm planning on converting my 9800 to a B&W piezography printer. Your old 7600 would be perfect for piezography as well. You just need to convince yourself that you don't need all that furniture in your condo---like a bed. :ROTFL:
Thanks Ken. My workroom/print room actually is the 2nd bedroom! My wife of nearly 53 years knows the addiction (I had a darkroom before we retired and moved). The "Office/printroom/bedroom" actually has a queen size "murphy" bed that myself and two buddies built into the wall. It folds up when not in use. THe wife is OK with it.
Best regards and thanks for the advice.
Dave
www.modernpictorials .com

gurtch

I sent off an email to Epson Tech Support and explained the situation. I have not yet heard from them.
Dave

Don Libby

Dave - just thinking here... If the new printer hasn't been charged with ink then there should be any problems. Once the ink is charged I'd keep it flat and level.

Don

gurtch

Dave - just thinking here... If the new printer hasn't been charged with ink then there should be any problems. Once the ink is charged I'd keep it flat and level.

Don
Thanks Don. I heard from Epson Tech Support, and they said it can be tilted in any direction, as often as required as long as the ink is NOT installed and primed
dave

gurtch

HAPPY ENDING:
I heard from Epson Tech Support as follows:
"Dear David,

Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson Stylus Pro 7890. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry.

It can be tilted as much as needed as long as it is before the inks are installed and primed.

Should you require further assistance with this issue, please reply without history (when possible), as our email system contains all previous correspondence. If you have a different technical support issue, please submit another email request via our website (Epson Support - Drivers, FAQs, Troubleshooting, Technical Support, Documents & Manuals for Epson Products - Epson America, Inc.), and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson."

I was able to unpack it and put it on a flat dolly that a friend owns. We assembled the stand in the office (2nd bedroom), then rolled the flat dollie next to it. It went around corners, we had to remove the bedroom door first. It is now making a 20"x30" print! MUCH faster and quieter than my old 7600. It is now the largest item in our 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo! Some have pianos or big china closets....we have a printer in the 2nd bedroom. My wife is a saint 9married 53 years....she is used to me.
Thank you all for helping.
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ