The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The importance of keeping your paper clean

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I was testing some Exhibition Fiber in my trusty Epson 3800, and was mindful of the admonition to keep that paper, in particular, clear of dust. Early in the print, though, the printer started making terrible noises. I pulled the plug, ejected the media (which had an ugly hole in it), and found this:

I don't know how that got into my paper path, but they mean it! Keep that paper clean!

Best,

Matt

P.S. Subsequent prints seem fine, so I'm hoping no lasting damage was done.

kdphotography

Okay, Matt. You win the biggest dust-bunny of the year award. And I'm glad everything seems to be working well.

Um. But aren't you the least bit curious: some piece of equipment is missing a short red wire..... :ROTFL:

(Hope it doesn't belong to anything in your studio!)

MGrayson

You make an excellent point. I'd feel a LOT better if I could find a short black wire in a nearby cabinet. :ROTFL: Stupidly enough, I have a cabinet of small electronic parts directly above the counter where the printer sits. :loco:

--Matt

Godfrey

That's a heck of a piece of dust. ;-)

I keep my printer covered when not in use to minimize dust getting inside.

schuster

Since I've been keeping a large bath towel on top of my 7900, the dust issue has diminished significantly. It would be a good selling point if Epson were to tap some of the air from its compressor and port it through deionizing nozzles just ahead of the print head, and/or supply an anti-static cover.

MGrayson

Thanks, Paul.

I got a digitaldeckcovers 3880 cover from Amazon, and it works perfectly. (The 3800 actually *did* die as a result of the wire incident, but the 3880 is wonderful.)

-Matt