The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just saw this on printing and resolution. Brilliant.

tashley

Subscriber Member
The Right Resolution - Digital Photo Pro | DigitalPhotoPro.com

I've done the full LuLa 'from camera to print' tutorial series and been making what I think are very good prints for quite a while now, but there is some stuff in here about printing from Lightroom that tests hypotheses about where and when to upres. In short, I have always been of the school that says 'if you've got enough pixels to manage 180ppi without upresing in software then go for it' but this article says different, demonstrates why with real prints, and has me interested. Time to give it a try.

Godfrey

The Right Resolution - Digital Photo Pro | DigitalPhotoPro.com

I've done the full LuLa 'from camera to print' tutorial series and been making what I think are very good prints for quite a while now, but there is some stuff in here about printing from Lightroom that tests hypotheses about where and when to upres. In short, I have always been of the school that says 'if you've got enough pixels to manage 180ppi without upresing in software then go for it' but this article says different, demonstrates why with real prints, and has me interested. Time to give it a try.
Thanks for the link!

Jeff Schewe is always worth listening to. He and Bruce Fraser were amongst the best folks to learn from in the early days of digital photography (late '90s into the early 2000s).

Diane B

Thanks too for the link. I still have Bruce's book and have followed as Jeff has evolved the techniques. Hadn't see this though.

Diane

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've been a big Schewe fan too, have the LuLa video tutorials, but I think I learned something new today in this article...

raywest

Personally, I found the article both amusing, and irritating. What they are saying is merely repetition of what has been said before, many years ago wrt print dpi. In fact Mike Chaney, the owner of Qimage, has been explaining about native printer resolution, and many other printing aspects, for more than ten years, afaik. A recent article of his compares the results of printing using qi with that of lightroom March 2010: Smart Photo Printing and if you browse back through, you'll most likely find other interesting items (with less of a sales pitch :eek:)

Of course, he hasn't the budget of Adobe, he doesn't wish to ride on their coat-tails, nor does he develop for the Apple, (but many folk seems to run qi on Apples), so I guess he's a bit stuffed on getting the word out there.

I'm only a user of the print aspects of an early version of qi, but I can't understand why anyone would jump through the hoops they seem to, in order to use the printing from lightroom, photoshop, whatever.

Best wishes,

Ray

kdphotography

Ray, I don't know if this is the exact same article (or condensed) that was printed in Digital Photo Pro, but at least the article does mention Qimage at the end. I've been using Qimage for years, and it certainly makes printing much much easier, particularly with regard to keeping track of icc media profiles and printer settings for each one. But the article is still a good primer on what to keep in mind when preparing images for print----even on Qimage.

DDI Software Home is where you can find the current version of Qimage Ultimate.

Last edited: