The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

4880 paper

jlm

Workshop Member
any recommendations for a sheet feedable paper, 8-1/2 x 11. for this printer of similar quality to Epson Exhibition Fiber, (which is too thick and needs manual feed)?

thx

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I don't have a paper recommendation, but it sure is quiet in the printer forum, isn't it? That is, I can't recall if the Canson Platine Fibre Rag works in the sheet feeder or not. It's not as stiff as the EEF.

--Matt

bensonga

I don't know of any baryta type paper that can be routinely put thru the regular sheet feed slot on my 3880. I have fed a couple sheets of Ilford Gold Fibre Silk thru the regular sheet feed on the 3880 without a problem, but I normally put them in the manual feed slot. IGFS is similar to EEF and just a tad lighter (310g vs 325g). One great thing about IGFS is the lack of edge curl to the paper.....that might help re putting it thru the regular sheet feed mechanism.

There are a number of other very good quality matte papers that I use in the regular sheet feed slot, but they aren't comparable to EEF.

Gary

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
All of the better papers I've tried are too thick and the surface too delicate for any serious curling through paper feed mechanisms. You can get EFP in a roll now, sort of a pain to work with afterwards but then all of these papers are difficult to use in rolls.

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have to settle for a lesser quality paper if i want tray feed, my faves being EFp, and Iiford fine art pearl. I might try a roll on a 3" core, if i can get that, but the output curled print is problematic

there must be something worthwhile that will feed from the tray

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
John,

I have a 3880, so this may not translate - When I choose "Sheet Feeder - Borderless" for the paper source, Exhibition Fiber is listed as an acceptable paper choice. Does your driver disallow it? With some papers, I have to choose "Rear Feeder - Manual" to get the choice ungrayed.

Best,

Matt

jlm

Workshop Member
actually I'm using Imageprint for the driver.

In the EFP paper box, Epson says to follow steps "Using the Front manual Feed Slot" instructions and that "Using the auto sheet feeder with this paper is not recommended" and i get mis-loads if trying to run from the paper tray.

kdphotography

If you're concerned about paper curl, maybe give the new Innova Fibaprint Warm Cotton Gloss a try. (Noted by Jack and Vince earlier in this forum).

It is a very nice fine art paper. It is a heavier paper (335GSM) and comes on a 3" core, but surprisingly, this paper lays very flat after printing.

This paper works well with my 9800 K7 Piezography printer and with the 9900. Last I checked Innova didn't have icc profiles posted for this paper; I generated a custom icc for this paper available for those at GetDPI with a 49/79/9900.

ken

bensonga

These are not baryta papers, but they are very good quality papers (though not "fine art") which don't need to be run thru the manual sheet feeder.

I've been using these papers in quite a few print exchanges lately with nice results.

Matte: Red River Paper Polar Matte
Semi-gloss: Red River Paper UltraPro Satin

Gary

bensonga

I'm making some prints on UltraPro Satin tonight, which got me to thinking....have you received this paper yet John? Had a chance to try it out? If so, what did you think?

Gary