The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Web Host Recommendations?

simonclivehughes

My website is currently hosted on Apple's ME.COM (originally MobileMe), which is due to disappear at the end of this month. Can anyone recommend a viable (and inexpensive, ME.com was $100/year) alternative that I can use?

FWIW, I'm located in the Vancouver, BC area.

Cheers,

schuster

All of my sites have been at Hostica.com for more than a decade. If I can't figure out how to do something, or screw it up trying, tech support is either on live chat or email-responsive relative to the urgency. There's an initial low startup fee and the basic fee is about $12... a year! None of the thousands of competitors have compelled me to move from Hostica.

Terry

I use Bluehost and they've been really good to work with. I have some stuff with GoDaddy but I find their emails intentionally confusing to get you to sign up for more stuff.

Bluehost was highly recommended by Photocrati when I did my website.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
bluehost or dreamhost.
or, if you want high performance and are willing to do more administration, then rackspace.
-bob

danielmoore

Another vote for Dreamhost. If you plan to blog most folks have one click installs which turn out to require user intervention to complete. Dreamhost take full responsibility (at least for Wordpress) and their email marketing is extremely minimal, so little in fact that I don't bother stopping them as they can be entertaining. I think they serve up pages faster than many as well.

As for GoDaddy, I recommend you avoid them unless you really want to fund Don Parsons next elephant killing expedition. It's all over the net if you look. His well publicized actions made choosing a web host a little bit easier for me.

simonclivehughes

Bluehost ended up having pretty much exactly what I require, so I've gone with them. At this point I've simply transferred my existing iWeb site, which seems to run quite well, in fact even faster than before. My next job will be to buckle down and learn enough Dreamweaver to finally finish the new design I started some months ago.