Site Sponsors

Thread: Idiot-proof printing at home up to A4 or A3?

Post Thanks / Like

Idiot-proof printing at home up to A4 or A3?

A take a few pictures, although much fewer than many here. But I never print them, which is a shame. With the number of pictures that I'd probably print, it would be much cheaper to use an online service. But somehow it's just not the same. So I'm considering getting a photo printer for myself. Nothing bigger than A3, even A4 might do.

The budget isn't firm, I guess one would get good enough quality with something like 400-1000 . But what I'm worried about is that printing so little, would a printer give me more grief than pleasure. Things like clogging or smearing, losing calibration, no ink when needed due to minimal containers, endless tweaking with settings etc.

Is there an idiot-proof system for me available? Something that I could forget about after getting the profiles and such right in the beginning? Something that would just keep going with a printing frequency of 5-20 pictures a month?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Idiot-proof printing at home up to A4 or A3?

Infrequent printing is always an issue with most printers.
    That being said Epsons 3880 has everything that you are looking for and more.
    With the 3800's excellent history with regards to ease of use and rare clogs.
    Might be in your budget with rebates or possibly even a refurbished unit.
    Ink will come in at arount .62 per ml. Half of the cost of smaller printers.
    Be prepared to put in the time if this is all new to you.
    "Camera to Print and Screen" video series from Luminous Landscape are a must.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I totally adore my 3880. Infrequent use, no clogs.

It's not much bigger than most 13" printers, but handles 17" widths. No roll paper, though, so no long panoramas without exotic drivers.

-Matt
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 for the 3880. Fantastic printer that doesn't take up much space. If you want to go cheaper, Canon's A3 printers are very good but have higher running costs if I remember correctly.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post