The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Idiot-proof printing at home up to A4 or A3?

emr

A take a few pictures, although much fewer than many here. But I never print them, which is a shame. With the number of pictures that I'd probably print, it would be much cheaper to use an online service. But somehow it's just not the same. So I'm considering getting a photo printer for myself. Nothing bigger than A3, even A4 might do.

The budget isn't firm, I guess one would get good enough quality with something like 400-1000 €. But what I'm worried about is that printing so little, would a printer give me more grief than pleasure. Things like clogging or smearing, losing calibration, no ink when needed due to minimal containers, endless tweaking with settings etc.

Is there an idiot-proof system for me available? Something that I could forget about after getting the profiles and such right in the beginning? Something that would just keep going with a printing frequency of 5-20 pictures a month?

Dan Berg

Infrequent printing is always an issue with most printers.
That being said Epsons 3880 has everything that you are looking for and more.
With the 3800's excellent history with regards to ease of use and rare clogs.
Might be in your budget with rebates or possibly even a refurbished unit.
Ink will come in at arount .62 per ml. Half of the cost of smaller printers.
Be prepared to put in the time if this is all new to you.
"Camera to Print and Screen" video series from Luminous Landscape are a must.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I totally adore my 3880. Infrequent use, no clogs.

It's not much bigger than most 13" printers, but handles 17" widths. No roll paper, though, so no long panoramas without exotic drivers.

-Matt

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
+1 for the 3880. Fantastic printer that doesn't take up much space. If you want to go cheaper, Canon's A3 printers are very good but have higher running costs if I remember correctly.