The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How To Center Image using Epson 3880 and 17x25 Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta

D

Diamond Star Halo

My images consistently print to within 1/8” on the top, bottom and right side, but ¼” on the LEFT side.
So the image appears off center – shifted slightly to the right side.

The Epson 3880 “Print” menu shows a preview of the image as it will be printed. On the preview, all the sides are even except on the RIGHT side, which has a small gap – interesting that it’s on the right side given that my problem is with the left side of the print.

I’ve tried the following settings on the Epson 3880 “Print” menu and, each time, the image prints the same way – off center, shifted slightly to the right side:

> Went to the “Position” section and checked the “Center Image” box.

> Went to the “Scaled Print Size” section and checked the “Scale to Fit Media” box.

> Went to both sections and checked both the “Center Image” and the “Scale to Fit Media” boxes.

> Went to the “Position” section and manually entered random numbers into the “Left” box until the preview showed that the image was centered.

The last time I called Epson for help on a different issue, the tech person did not read my Incident Report email carefully, kept cutting me off as I tried to explain the issue and noted that the problem was my use of Harman paper (although Epson doesn’t make 17x25 paper).

But my posts here yielded many kind and informative tips that solved the problem.

So, again, I would be grateful for any suggestions on how I can center my image.

Thanks everyone.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I use this combo of printer and paper but have not experienced this. I did create and use a custom size in the print menu - 17 x 25. I would check all the layout and size options and make sure you haven't inadvertently checked off something strange that is overriding the "center image" setting.

D

Diamond Star Halo

Thanks so much Alan for the suggestion of using a custom size and double-checking all the settings. I have checked before, but it's worth doing it again. There are many options and it's easy to miss something, which has happened to me before on other issues.

You have some very nice photographs on your website! Congratulations and continued success with that. :)

D

Diamond Star Halo

Alan, hopefully I attached the screenshot to this message successfully.

The narrow panel on the right (called "Current Settings") summarizes the settings made on the large panel on the left.

The right panel (under the heading "Main") shows that "Centered" is set to "Off."

But I don't see anywhere on that right panel where I can change it to "On."

Nor do I see anywhere on the corresponding left panel where I can make that change.

Do you recall making that setting? I didn't find anything in the manual about it.

Shashin

Print margins are not equal. You may have to manually compensate for the the difference. So when using Pshop and Epson 4900/4800 printers, we center the image and then shift that position by 0.22in. The image will need to be a little smaller to be able to be shifted.

BTW, the Pshop preview actually shows the margins--the black box is the paper area and the white is the print area. The gray area between them are the margins and they are not equal.

D

Diamond Star Halo

Thanks for the suggestions -- I appreciate it. I'm going to try them out and see what happens.

oc garza

Shasin's method is what I use for my canon 9900 but the superior ipf6100 will center all images correctly if you check the 3mm border option.