Site Sponsors

Thread: Epson R3000 and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag

Post Thanks / Like

Epson R3000 and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag

I am Mac user (Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4) and frequently calibrate my monitor with Spyder Elite 3. I have no problem printing color images with this printer using Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl paper with Official Ilford color profile. However, I am trying to print some TIF black and white scans from 6x7 negatives (Adobe RGB 1998) on Hahnemuehle Photo Rag 305gsm and/or Photo Rag Ultrasmooth 308gsm paper but I cannot find out why my black and white prints are greenish!?

I downloaded the official Hahnemuehle profiles for these papers, chose Velvet Fine Art Paper as recommended, chose Photoshop manages color, Color Settings under Printer Setting was off, Black Point Compensation ticked, Rendering was Relative Colorimetric, Matte Black chosen. Soft proofed them in Photoshop CS5, played with levels and curves to make it look as close as to original image. I even converted the Adobe 1998 file into Grayscale to remove any color cast I might have added to warm up tones, still no luck!!! There is a greenish cast over them!!!

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by Aryan Aqajani; 7th August 2012 at 16:30.
    Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Epson R3000 and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag

Thanks to the reply from one of the members at LoLa, I find out that Epson ABW mode is the way to go for B&W printing. After some test todays, I can confirm that no colors cast whatsoever in this mode. Also, better tonal range and smoother graduation.
    Aryan Aqajani - Photographer in Melbourne, Australia
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Flickr | Vimeo
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Epson R3000 and Hahnemuehle Photo Rag

I have the same printer, but have only printed in color so far. Thanks for sharing

As far calibration is concerned, I also used the Spyder studio 3, and although I calibrate my two LCD monitors the color temperature are somewhat different and so is the grey scale values, however, I also calibrate my printer to make sure the color accurate, for what it's worth (it does match one of the monitors)!