Site Sponsors

Thread: Anybody know what could cause this?

nei1

Anybody know what could cause this?

Scanned the neg using minolta 5400 and found this,anyone know what could cause it?Its a 10year old neg but stored pretty well,dry etc,any ideas?____________________Neil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anybody know what could cause this?

Neil,
    Are you referring to the lines and specs?
    I am not sure, but the lines could be the result of drying marks or fungus growth.
    Clean the negative with a good gentle negative cleaner and then use an anti-ststic brush to get a bit more of the dust of before scanning it again. I have had reasonably good results using Edwal Anti-stat film cleaner and a pecpad followed up with a touch of canned air or a anti-stat brush (the radioactive type).
    Sadly, no matter how hard you try, you will be faced with spotting the results in PS.
    -bob

nei1

Thanks Bob,thats more or less what I thought.I was a little worried that it was some sort of electrical discharge from the scanner.Ive checked a few negs and it seems to have affected at least 3 rolls of kodak technical pan,other filmtypes seem unaffected.(up until now!)__________ Neil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have similar lines on Kodachromes from the 1960s and later; some of them have a central blob with radiating lines -- black on slides, of course -- your scan is converted to a positive. I think yours are also fungus -- I didn't notice it until I scanned.
    Sláinte

Robert.

nei1

Thanks Bertie,Im going to try cleaning the affected negs and go on from there.____Neil