The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

canon ipf8000 advice

danlindberg

I have been using this printer for a good many years and it has given me consistent results. Don't laugh, but I have not used any profiles, auto colour management and output in sRGB, just about everything 'standard'.
And it has given me very accurate colours and I have not dared to try and tweak anything. Classic thinking - if not broken, don't fix it.

Now, I had to exchange both printerheads and at the same time I updated the firmware for the first time. From original 1.20 to current 1.38.

The printer started up without problems and I have printed several canvases but here is the problem. With the old settings it prints both darker and excessive saturation. It almost looks like it prints with too much ink, it is not quite dry when it comes out.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Charles Wood

I used an 8000 for several years and also with great results, now using an ipf8300.

Are you exporting files to Canon's ImageProGraf plug in for Photoshop? If so, have you checked saturation and contrast settings? I used the Auto settings initially and, like you, found the printer to be extremely forgiving with generic settings, particularly when using high quality canvas.

I found that by selecting the Canon profile for canvas, highest quality setting, letting Photoshop control color (have to use a calibrated or very tightly adjusted monitor) and printing in the 16 bit mode/RGB, I got notably improved results. I would suggest using the plug in sliders to adjust contrast, brightness and saturation, as a first start. Once you're back to where you think you need to be, try the changes I've just suggested. Good luck.

danlindberg

Thanks Charles for your input!
It works just fine now. Same consistant results as before, it was a silly misstake on my part. I forgot to assign sRGB to the file. My original files are colourmatch but when printing with the ipf8000 I use sRGB.
With sRGB the files are perfect in colour/saturation and exposure.
Easy fix, for a change...