Site Sponsors

Thread: Spyder3 Studio or ??

Post Thanks / Like

Spyder3 Studio or ??

Am about to order a screen profiling rig (i12) but am contemplating the idea of getting a combo screen/printer kit. For some units, getting 2 papers custom profiled (1 B&W + 1 color profile/paper = 4 profiles) at $100/pop would almost make having your own unit worthwhile.

While deciphering the new X-rite product line is a PITA, the i12 Photo seems to be considered the best, but is pretty spendy.

Not impressed with the reviews so far on the ColorMunkie - and limited (at least in 1 stage) color sampling.

The compromise in terms of price and performance (large color and B&W samples, etc) seems to be the Spyder3 Studio kit. Anyone care to share their experiences with same?

Edit - that said, I am starting to warm to the i1 photo LT if anyone has any thoughts on same.

An aside - who in the #$%^ in charge of the product management at X-rite? What a convoluted mess.
    Last edited by robmac; 21st December 2008 at 12:44.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spyder3 Studio or ??

Looking at the i1 Photo LT, am getting impression the 'small' color checker chart system, like the ColorMunkie's may not offer the best results - given the $$ involved.

edwinb

I have used an I1 (without uv filter) for 100's screen and print calibrations and swear by it. I have also seen the reviews of ColorMunki seem to have improved so am looking for a comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, think I'm going for the I1 and outsource my paper calibrations. I do mostly B&W and ABW profiles are fully available, so only need 2-3 custom color profiles.

Post Thanks / Like

I use I1 and outsource paper profiles. I decided that it was too costly for the whole profile package (including hardware, software, etc.) for the best paper profiles, especially since I try to stay to only a few paper types.

CM sounds useful in concept, but I'm waiting to see if the kinks get worked out to my satisfaction before I try it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have tested the ColorMunki (review coming soon) and am currently testing the Spyder3Studio. The Spyder3's method for scanning the print test target uses a guide and makes the scanning simple. The Munki is freehand and can get sticky if you are not "Steady Eddy".
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO