The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dan Margulis

alajuela

You might already know this - I didn't

Dan Margulis has a new book, (Published 2013)

"Modern Photoshop Color Workflow The Quartertone Quandary, the PPW, and Other Ideas for Speedy Image Enhancement"

Amazon still has a couple left

His other other books, hold a premier place among my dogged ear books on printing.

AND as a bonus - Go to iTunes and download Little Al Thomas - doing Rollin & Tumblin' -- enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:watch:

alajuela

Hi - Update

Just got the book, and only looked a couple of videos.

My feeling is; it is all about the Print, not contact sheets, or jpegs on monitors.

First I should say, by ALL means we ALL want to get our exposures correct in the camera, but we also all know that's not always possible, (otherwise we might as well leave up to the jpeg settings and be done)

Second - in my opinion if we want to make images, they way we want, this book is a great tool.

Third, to get the fast reactions (to the second point) out of the way, this along with some other books, IE, Ansel Adams - "The Print", Margulis's LAB book, Vincent Versace books, John Paul Caponigro, Sebastião Salgado, Abbott, Herb Ritts, Arnold Newman, Dorothea Lange, and so many other greats, teach one thing so important, HOW to realize our vision. The list is endless, to name a few artists, Maxfield Parrish, Norman Rockwell, Hopper, Rembrandt, again an endless list.

Art in my opinion is a combination, of skill, hard work, attitude, having a vision, and of course execution.

Phil