The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mounting

postman

I am at that point where I would like to mount prints and mount them professionally, consistently and … efficiently!

Initially I am considering mounting with and without matt, for framing, display and sale. I have tried mounting to foam core using spray adhesive and like the end result, but not the process. I can print up-to 24" wide on an Epson printer, and use a variety of papers.

I am looking for pointers to a solid book on the subject of mounting, covering the various options and techniques, pros and cons. Does anybody here have any ideas?

I am also interested in what people here are doing.

Thanks,
Garry.

Dan Berg

Garry,
Since you are a little far to come to one of my printing and mounting workshops in Pa. I have several suggestions.
Start working with canvas if you do not already do so.
So many more possibilities gallery wrapping,dibond and gatorboard mounting with Miracle Muck plus much more.
My second suggestion is to go to the Luminous Landscape printing forum.
You may have to dig a little to get some responses started but it is byfar the best on the net.
Start with a search then start a thread with specific questions and you will likely get a good response.
Happy Printing.

Dan Berg

postman

Dan,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll take a look at the Luminous forum. I have worked with canvas before and like it. It fits well with some of my work.

I am considering cold lamination and wondered if that step is used in mounting canvas to board? I am really averse to spaying glue.

I am about to start a separate thread trying to figure if people are using lamination and cold lamination in particular.

Dan: I just looked at your website. Very nice setup you have. And I see you are very familiar with lamination.

Thanks again.
Garry.

Garry,
Since you are a little far to come to one of my printing and mounting workshops in Pa. I have several suggestions.
Start working with canvas if you do not already do so.
So many more possibilities gallery wrapping,dibond and gatorboard mounting with Miracle Muck plus much more.
My second suggestion is to go to the Luminous Landscape printing forum.
You may have to dig a little to get some responses started but it is byfar the best on the net.
Start with a search then start a thread with specific questions and you will likely get a good response.
Happy Printing.

Dan Berg

Last edited:

fotografz

Garry, what is the end purpose of mounting? Stand alone prints? Framed prints?

My main concern has been the archival nature of presentations and protecting the print from as much environmental and light pollution as possible.

Acid free materials as backing and mats under UV glass has been the framing approach I've used to date … but I haven't followed current trend for some time now, so will be interested in any comments you receive.

- Marc

Dan Berg

Dan,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll take a look at the Luminous forum. I have worked with canvas before and like it. It fits well with some of my work.

I am considering cold lamination and wondered if that step is used in mounting canvas to board? I am really averse to spaying glue.

I am about to start a separate thread trying to figure if people are using lamination and cold lamination in particular.

Dan: I just looked at your website. Very nice setup you have. And I see you are very familiar with lamination.

Thanks again.
Garry.
Garry,
If you want the easiest and fastest way to mount canvas it is wet mounting to gatorboard.
Canvas still needs sprayed or rolled on varnish to protect it's surface but all you need to start the process is a gallon of Miracle Muck a roller and some precut gatorboard.
Roll the adhesive on the gator,burnish it down with a roller or your hand. Flip it over and trim the canvas bleed. It's ready to put in a frame and hang.
Takes all of 10 minutes.
Dan