The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 9890 newbie questions - roll paper

faneuil

Brand new 9890 owner here. I know the printer a bit as I used to use a friend's 9890.

I am printing directly from Lightroom (my preferred workflow)
I am using 24" and 44" paper rolls.

-I have been choosing 'roll paper' from page setup (A1 for 24" roll), but is there a way to print to roll and *not* be forced to use the the full length?
EG: printing a 18" x 18" image onto A1 setting forces printer to print onto 24 x 36 and wasting a considerable paper above and below the image.

I have tried custom sizes, but the printer return "load correct paper" error.

Second question - a minor one - the printer, when idle, makes a 'chattering' noise every 2 minutes or so. What is that? A head printer micro clean? just curious.

thanks,
Eric

faneuil

OK - learned a bit so doing better.
After a bit of poking and manual reading, I got custom paper sizes to work..

Still curious about that chattering noise is (sounds normal- but just curious)

Also read that if going on printer hiatus, it is a good idea to leave printer on and attached to utility time so printer turns on briefly once a day -- thereby doing a mini head clean.
thoughts?

Eric