The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Paper size

Professional

Just very simple question, what size of paper i should use or go with?

I have Epson 3800 printer that can print up to 17" wide, so i can go anywhere from 4x6 or smaller up to 17" wide size, do you print at A4 or A3 or A2?

8x10, 13x19m 17x22/25?

fotografz

I use an Epson 3880 which replaced a 3800 when that printer broke down. I really like the 3800 that came with the ColorBurst rip software because it was so easy to make perfect prints without all the fuss. The 3880 was not available with ColorBurst, and to add it was too darned expensive for the dwindling amount of prints I now make.

The only reason I keep a printer these days (and maintain the expensive inks) is to print larger art images and portrait work from my Leica S2-P MFD camera and Leica M Monochrome.

So, most of my self-printed images are on 17" X 22" paper @ 20" wide on the long side. This provides a white border for handling and allows for matting and framing. Anything larger I do at a local lab that can do up to mural sized prints that are mounted to a backing.

I also use a fair amount of US Letter sized papers for 8' X 10"s. These are usually part of a portrait shooting package, or for gifts to friends and family.

I have other sized papers, but rarely use them. Printing a few 5X7s or smaller isn't worth firing up the printer and using up inks in the start-up process. Larger quantities of smaller prints or proofs are best done at Wall Mart and places like that.

Paper types range from Epson Premium Glossy and Luster to some specialty papers like Crane's Meuso Silver Rag double weight that mimics the Zone VI paper I used when printing B&Ws in the dark-room. I mostly use this paper to print images from my Leica M Monochrome.

- Marc

Professional

Thank you very much.

I agree wasting printing on those small 4x6/5x7 with the printer, i can easily go to nearby studios and they can print bulks of 4x6 at so low price and this will save my inks.

For portraits i may go up to US Letter size, but for landscapes, which size do you prefer?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have a 3880 too, or actually the Asia version, which is called 3885. I mostly print A4, A3 and A2 on mine. I have a Canon printer for smaller formats. For most of what I do, I use locally manufactured paper, IJ and Hi-Jet, and colour reproduction as well as longevity seem to be fine. Only when particularly high quality is needed, and when the client is willing to pay for that, I use better papers, mostly Epson and Hahnemühle.

Professional

I have a 3880 too, or actually the Asia version, which is called 3885. I mostly print A4, A3 and A2 on mine. I have a Canon printer for smaller formats. For most of what I do, I use locally manufactured paper, IJ and Hi-Jet, and colour reproduction as well as longevity seem to be fine. Only when particularly high quality is needed, and when the client is willing to pay for that, I use better papers, mostly Epson and Hahnemühle.
Let's not mention the name of brand, i also use Epson papers and i have Kodak paper of a type too, i can easily buy Harman and Hahnemühle as another option, but my question or my seek was about which type or surface to use most or for different type of photography.

f6cvalkyrie

Hi,

on my 3880, I use mostly A4 (pictures to give away) and Super A3 (pictures to decorate my walls)

Epson papers

Very happy user !

C U
Rafael

Professional

Hi,

on my 3880, I use mostly A4 (pictures to give away) and Super A3 (pictures to decorate my walls)

Epson papers

Very happy user !

C U
Rafael
Me too happy with Epson paper [didn't test many papers to say papers].

I was thinking to go more with A3 or A2, larger than that is too big and i will waste more inks and at the end i will not hang them on the wall, so better stay with smaller sizes that are up to 16-17" wide.

Now for panoramic shots, how can you manage to print those?

fotografz

Paper surfaces: I use Premium Luster for some portrait work as it mutes some of the finest contrast detail. I use Premium Glossy for landscapes or nature shots, and other types of images where I want the richest color reproduction and greatest detail.

For B&W I mentioned Mueso Silver Rag by brand name because it is archival and is a unique fiber based paper that is double weight thickness with a surface that mimics fiber based silver print papers I used in my wet darkroom. It has an over-all look of a Platinum print with a high D-Max and superior tonal range.

Luminous landscape

Museo Silver Rag at MAGIC INKJET MEDIA OUTLET

Sizes: For Panoramas I would go to my local lab. My printer doesn't accommodate rolls, so is limited to 17" X 22".

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Would it be possible to feed very long sheets into the 3880 for panorama prints? Unless there's a software limitation, I can't see why not.

fotografz

My understanding is that it is not possible … probably a printer firmware limitation.

But, hey, why not try it and see if it works.

- Marc

Professional

I read somewhere that this printer 3800 can print up to 38" something long, so for 17x38" is not bad for some panos i think, but i think this can happen by modify the printer, i forgot how.

Thanks Marc, your description about that Mueso Silver Rag making me thinking to place an order to get it sooner than later, would like to give a try, so is there another paper doing same job or better than this one or this is the best you found out in the market?

I also prefer Luster for portraits for the same reasons you mentioned, i use Luster also for macro work few times, but some still life which is shiny i go with glossy, it is nice to give that sparkle things for metal, and glossy maybe is better to give that vivid or vibrant lush for landscapes and nature, then what about sports and Architectural works?

Also, what is Matte paper good for?