The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Storing a 7600 printer

ocarlo

I have to store my 7600 printer for 6 to 12 months.
Too late now to have a tech drain the inks.
Does anyone know if its better to leave the ink cartridges in to prevent the printing heads from drying out?
thanks in advance.

Don Libby

I'd try to keep the humidity as high as possible. On the other hand if you are storing in a place that has electricity take a look at Harvey Head Cleaner.

takomaru

The best way to store a printer for any amount of time, is simply to replace the ink cartridges with flushing cartridges, you can get them from the Inklet Mall, with flushing fluid. You do have to flush the ink out, until the flushing fluid is in the heads. The Power Cleaning cycles on the 7600 are quite weak, so normally I take the head out and with a syringe I pull the ink out, directly from the dampers until I have the flushing liquid on the hoses, then I reinstall the head, and finally just give a Power Cleaning cycle and flush the ink from the head and replace it with the flushing fluid. You may store it as long as you want, and the heads will remain moist. When you need to load it, you repeat the process with your ink cartridges

stngoldberg

For the past seven years, I have shut down my printer 7880 for six months in my air conditioned office. When I return to my office, I merely execute a cleaning cycle, print a test strip, and repeat the cleaning cycle if necessary!
The printer has always been clog free after the above.
Stanley

ocarlo

thanks all,
In the end, it came down to other issues I had to deal with.
A short 2 mile trip to the storage area with the printer as level
as possible, and of it went into the basement section of Moishe's Storage
in Brooklyn. Seemed pretty cool temp wise down there. Will check again in six months.
Decided to err on the side of having fluid in there than not at all, and kept the ink cartridges on. hoping for the best.. thanks again..

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Use the fluid. If the head clogs up, it is about a $2000 fix -- $1600 or so for the part, plus labor...

turtle

Unfortunately my 3880 had to go into long term storage and I did not have the time to order in flush cartridges etc. I too will have to hope for the best. temperatures in the UK are pretty moderate, so fingers crossed.