The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji Crystal Archive Pearl

D

DougDolde

Have you ever seen an image printed on Fuji Crystal Archive Pearl printed either on a Chromira or Lightjet?

I've never seen a more impressive print. It's super glossy, has a definite wet look, and has a depth that I've never seen in a print before. As usual words are not very effective in describing how a print looks.

I'd not frame a print made this way under anything but Tru Vue Museum or AR Reflection Free glass. In case you've never seen either of these glasses, they are essentially invisible as there is only about 1% reflected light, ie you can't see the glass.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
The the Pearl paper is Fuji's attempt to mimic and compete with Kodak's Professional Endura Metallic paper. If you like the Fuji Pearl, you should try out a Kodak Metallic print.

And, for what it's worth, I'd recommend a laser-imaged print (Durst Theta/Lambda) rather than an LED print (Chromira). Just a much crisper print.

David

viablex1

who would you use to obtain such a print?

and omg your dale photo lab,

you have the absolute best color C-41 processing!!! I love that place!!!!!

do you print your enlargements utlizing those printers?

viablex1

well I got my two prints form laslight yesterday, in short they are off the hook, I got 20X25 and it fels like you are right there, very very impressive!!!

D

DougDolde

I had my first one (16x20) printed by West Coast Imaging. It cost me $40.83 (including a $7.50 packing charge) plus FEDEX Ground on my account.

To compare I had the same image, same size printed by proDPI.com. The cost was $16.25 with shipping and packing included, proDPI only will print from a level 10 jpg. I can't see a difference in print quality. WCI does packages the print better however. proDPI ships faster than WCI using 3 day UPS. I ordered Sunday and received it Wednesday.

I also printed the same image, same size on my Epson 3800 on Epson Exhibition Fiber. Cost me ~$5.00 for the sheet of paper and I had it immediately. While it doesn't have the super gloss pearl effect it's also an excellent print.

I think unless you are framing under Museum glass the difference in final appearance may be small. I am going to test this hypothesis this week.

D

DougDolde

Just so no one is mislead, I've had a chance to look more closely at the two Fuji Pearl prints under better light. While at first glance they looks the same, closer inspection shows that the proDPI print is missing some detail and color in the tree trunks.

I won't be ordering any more prints from proDPI; a compromised print to save money just isn't my style.

This is the image in question:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
who would you use to obtain such a print?

and omg your dale photo lab,

you have the absolute best color C-41 processing!!! I love that place!!!!!

do you print your enlargements utlizing those printers?
Yes, we are Dale Labs. Thank you for the kind comments.

We use a Durst Theta 51 for our large prints. We only use Kodak Professional Endura paper, in lustre, glossy, and metallic finishes. The Theta is a 400 PPI RGB laser system. We charge $15 for a 16x20 and $20 for a 20x30. All prints are color corrected on Eizo monitors in a fully color-managed workflow by real humans. For our larger prints, we also make 8x10 test prints after initial on-screen correction.

For more info, check out http://www.iprintspro.com.

David

Doug - Try a LightJet print from Photo Craft. I have been extremely pleased with their work, sending my prepped files for Level 2 prints.

Just so no one is mislead, I've had a chance to look more closely at the two Fuji Pearl prints under better light. While at first glance they looks the same, closer inspection shows that the proDPI print is missing some detail and color in the tree trunks.

I won't be ordering any more prints from proDPI; a compromised print to save money just isn't my style.

This is the image in question:

Henry Goh

Yes, we are Dale Labs. Thank you for the kind comments.

We use a Durst Theta 51 for our large prints. We only use Kodak Professional Endura paper, in lustre, glossy, and metallic finishes. The Theta is a 400 PPI RGB laser system. We charge $15 for a 16x20 and $20 for a 20x30. All prints are color corrected on Eizo monitors in a fully color-managed workflow by real humans. For our larger prints, we also make 8x10 test prints after initial on-screen correction.

For more info, check out http://www.iprintspro.com.

David
David,

I didn't see any shipping rates for international. Are you able to ship to Singapore?

Best regards from Singapore

dfarkas

Workshop Member
David,

I didn't see any shipping rates for international. Are you able to ship to Singapore?

Best regards from Singapore
Yes, we ship international. The cost to you is whatever the actual Air Mail cost is to us. We don't charge any handling fee or mark up our shipping. If you tell me what size and how many, I can give you an exact number based on the weight.

Thanks,

David