The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 9890 prints shorter than expected !!!

Duk2

I will explain...

It might be about vertical transportation of paper.

If I print from Photoshop (CS6 or CC) a 20 x 24 inch file (24 would be the vertical), it prints out 23 13/16 of an inch. In the way I work -centimetres-, the file is 60cm. and prints out 59,5 cm.

In larger prints, the difference is even more obvious.

I've been working in the professional printing business for years and just recently realized of such error, printing very large prints for me, that did not fit the frames.

I do not know if this is a paper transportation issue from the printer itself or some sort of Photoshop failure to translate inches to centimeters (?).

I have not tested printing from inches in Photoshop. We always print from centimeters.

Has any professional out there noticed such error ???

Mike Z

I have had the same issue with every epson printer I've had. 9600, 9800,9880 and 9890.
Our 11880 has the same problem but to a lesser extent.
However I only see the problem when I print on canvas.
I have to add .2" for every 24" in length. I think the transport motor on the printers may have problems pulling a heavy roll of canvas through the machine.
I don't see the same problem with paper but I am usually printing on sheets which are 36"x48".
Mike

Mike Z

By the way:
I see the same problem whether we print using Photoshop, Imageprint or ergo soft.
So I don't think it is a photoshop issue.
Mike

Duk2

Thanks for your feedback. It's good to know one is not alone.

Anyway, I found a roll of cheap paper and made a test with my personal presets after posting, realizing that part of the issue was caused by myself.

I always print on roll paper.

As I also have troubles (this would be another threat) when printing dark/black images on the very thick paper, Museum Etching 350 by Hahnemühle, once I decided to adjust Paper Feed to -60 on Paper Configuration, Print Settings interface by Epson, as I thought this setting fixed the problem.

From the test I realized the issue becomes visible when that -60 setting is aplied to paper feed. I printed in centimeters and inches and was quite perfect.

I printed a thin line in sizes of 60, 80 centimeters and 24 inches long. For no reason the only line that did not fit the size was the 60 centimeters one. The missmatch was about one milimeter (1/32 inch) shorter.

The test was made on thin paper roll, Double Wegiht Matte Paper by Epson. I guess on thick papers as Museum Etching or Canvas, may produce different results.