Site Sponsors

Thread: image size doesn't match output size

Post Thanks / Like

image size doesn't match output size

Big surprise today. I have been printing canvas and done the wrap-around stretchers, so I have simply made the image 6 cm larger and have 3 cm margin on each side to wrap it. Works nicely and I have not thought about it closely.

Today I was to print exact sizes on paper. What ever I do it prints slightly smaller!!?? What am I missing here?
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: image size doesn't match output size

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post
    Big surprise today. I have been printing canvas and done the wrap-around stretchers, so I have simply made the image 6 cm larger and have 3 cm margin on each side to wrap it. Works nicely and I have not thought about it closely.

Today I was to print exact sizes on paper. What ever I do it prints slightly smaller!!?? What am I missing here?
    What printer?
    What computer system?
    Which version of the print driver?
    What application is doing the printing?

In my experience, the only computer systems that are critically accurate to measure in printing output are the ones dedicated to drafting and CAD work...

G

Post Thanks / Like

But ofcourse....(late in the day)

Canon iPF 8400
    imagePROGRAF print plugin v.5.31 for Photoshop CC 2015
    Mac Yosemite 10.10.5
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing that may help: many printers do not do interpolation to their own native print resolution very well. IOW, Canon IIRC prints native at 300 or 600 DPI, so if you send it a 20" x 30" at 360 DPI image it may not do that scaling well. So it generally helps if you know your printers native resolution and then send it prints in some whole integer multiple or divisor of that resolution.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Good tip about native dpi Jack! However, I do print everything @300dpi so I 'guess' that should be alright. I have written the question also to my supplier of the printer, lets see if they have a solution