The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

image size doesn't match output size

danlindberg

Big surprise today. I have been printing canvas and done the wrap-around stretchers, so I have simply made the image 6 cm larger and have 3 cm margin on each side to wrap it. Works nicely and I have not thought about it closely.

Today I was to print exact sizes on paper. What ever I do it prints slightly smaller!!?? What am I missing here?

Godfrey

Big surprise today. I have been printing canvas and done the wrap-around stretchers, so I have simply made the image 6 cm larger and have 3 cm margin on each side to wrap it. Works nicely and I have not thought about it closely.

Today I was to print exact sizes on paper. What ever I do it prints slightly smaller!!?? What am I missing here?
What printer?
What computer system?
Which version of the print driver?
What application is doing the printing?

In my experience, the only computer systems that are critically accurate to measure in printing output are the ones dedicated to drafting and CAD work...

G

danlindberg

But ofcourse....(late in the day)

Canon iPF 8400
imagePROGRAF print plugin v.5.31 for Photoshop CC 2015
Mac Yosemite 10.10.5

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
One thing that may help: many printers do not do interpolation to their own native print resolution very well. IOW, Canon IIRC prints native at 300 or 600 DPI, so if you send it a 20" x 30" at 360 DPI image it may not do that scaling well. So it generally helps if you know your printers native resolution and then send it prints in some whole integer multiple or divisor of that resolution.

danlindberg

Good tip about native dpi Jack! However, I do print everything @300dpi so I 'guess' that should be alright. I have written the question also to my supplier of the printer, lets see if they have a solution :)