The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Prints on Matte Fine-Art Papers Flaking / Flecking / Specks - Solution?

TTLKurtis

I'm printing with an HP Z3200 24" on 24" roll media, ranging from Hahnemuhle William Turner, German Etching, to Epson Hot Press Natural and Somerset Velvet when it comes to the matte paper options... Something I continue to run into is little specks of ink falling or flaking off the print. I had some prints which were fine except for one that had a speck of ink missing, so I reprinted that one image, shipped them off to the client... she received them and noticed several had bits of ink flaked off.

Is the only solution to coat the images with something like Timeless Matte or Hahnemuhle spray varnish? Hot Press Natural and William Turner seem to be particularly delicate in this regard.

Any tips, similar experiences, solutions...?

TTLKurtis

Here's the thing... I'm printing on rolls not sheets. So what are you supposed to do, stand behind the printer while its printing and keep brushing the paper...?

kdphotography

I print on rolls only also. PITA at times, but pull out a leader after paper roll is set in holder, brush lightly, and then insert into printer feed.

ken

Don Libby

I've had this happen with canvas prints. Turned out that there was dust so I'd have to unroll the approx. length, dust it then reroll; no problem. Yes, it can be a huge PIA.

Don

Thomas Fallon

The cause is definitely tiny particles of the paper clinging to the roll. The ink sprays onto the particle instead of the paper. Then the particle falls off. The best solution is to find the least troublesome papers and stick with those. We use Canson Arches Aquarelle and Hahnemuhle German Etching for textured papers and Canson Baryta for a smooth surface. Be sure to store the papers covered with plastic. We have minimal issues and do not brush the paper off before printing. We do immediately cover the print when it comes off the printer so nothing can land on top it and we keep the room as clean as we can. We use a Canon 44 inch printer.