The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Breathing Color Lyve

DougDolde

Many of us use Breathing Color Lyve canvas as we think (or thought) its the best canvas out there.

Here's a test article that show a lot of the Breathing Color claims are mostly just advertising hype. Why be surprised ? Isn't this business as usual ?

Paper Chase - Breathing Color Lyve Canvas - Photography Articles - p 1 SWPP

I mentioned in another post that I bought HP Professional Matte canvas for a lot less and it seems to be as good as Lyve, at least to my eye. I bought a 50' roll for $125 where a 39' roll of Lyve prices out at $225

Last edited:

Abe_doubleU

Many of us use Breathing Color Lyve canvas as we think (or thought) its the best canvas out there.

Here's a test article that show a lot of the Breathing Color claims are mostly just advertising hype. Why be surprised ? Isn't this business as usual ?

Paper Chase - Breathing Color Lyve Canvas - Photography Articles - p 1 SWPP

I mentioned in another post that I bought HP Professional Matte canvas for a lot less and it seems to be as good as Lyve, at least to my eye. I bought a 50' roll for $125 where a 39' roll of Lyve prices out at $225
Have you noticed when the article has been published? We are now in 2016, since 2010 a lot could have been improved.
I am not saying others aren't good, just its not all marketing hype.
I use them and use others too.

Egor

I prefer BC_Lyve for most gallery prints, but I have a client who prefers Lexjet Sunset Reserve Bright Matte canvas. I recently got a new Canon IPF9400 and had to do completely new linearization for all substrates and all I can say is that BC Lyve can hold more ink than the LexJet product. A lot more! That means on Lyve the blacks are blackerer, the colors are richer and more vibrant...etc. As to which my finishing people prefer, I think they like the Lexjet material for stretching better, less cracking and more give.
We have tested others as well and have quite a few preferences amongst different clients. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

kdphotography

....As to which my finishing people prefer, I think they like the Lexjet material for stretching better, less cracking and more give.
Eric, if you're experiencing cracking, it's more than likely from not coating the canvas enough (Timeless or Glam II) or waiting too long after coating to stretch.

ken

Egor

Eric, if you're experiencing cracking, it's more than likely from not coating the canvas enough (Timeless or Glam II) or waiting too long after coating to stretch.

ken
Thanks, Ken!
Perhaps, we coat the Lyve stuff with 2 coats of Timeless Satin. Both are rolled on 1st then brushed out. I usually give it at least 24 hours to dry before giving them over to stretcher.
I am actually trying to move away from coating, to be honest. Too many prints have been ruined in that final phase. I may build a proper spray booth and spray coat after stretching in the future.
Also, most of my clients don't want any coating, or don't really care. ;)

e

kdphotography

HVLP spray provides a much more even and consistent coating----and once you have all the settings and ratios dialed in---makes everything so ridiculously fast and easy. BC Crystalline "might" get you away from coating, otherwise all aqueous canvas prints need to be coated, imo. Solvent printer in your basket....;)

Charles Wood

HVLP spray provides a much more even and consistent coating----and once you have all the settings and ratios dialed in---makes everything so ridiculously fast and easy. BC Crystalline "might" get you away from coating, otherwise all aqueous canvas prints need to be coated, imo. Solvent printer in your basket....;)
I couldn't agree more. I would not even consider selling a canvas print to a client without coating it. There is too much possibility of accidentally damaging the surface of an uncoated print (unsupervised children, shipping, handling, etc.) not too mention the additional UV protection and enhanced gamut that coating provides.

I also gave up rolling a coating years ago in favor of HVLP sprayers. I've tried numerous varnishes and I keep coming back to Glamour II Gloss, mixed 50/50 with distilled water and applied in a minimum of two coats on matt canvas.

DougDolde

I've no problem applying Timeless Matte with a foam roller. It's a breeze once you learn how.

Cleaning a sprayer every time I use it is not for me.

Egor

BC Crystalline not bad, but my clients all prefer matt canvas, and never got fond of the color we were getting from the Crystalline anyway.
Many of them don't want any coating as it adds some gloss and almost all of them add brush strokes after the fact anyway and then coat.
If I am coating, they actually prefer it be brushed on like a painter would do. Trust me, I wouldn't do that way if not specifically requested and paid to do it ;)

I have tried 1st coat gloss 2nd coat matte but it takes a while and adds significant down time and cost to the job.
In all the time I have been doing prints, on the uncoated ones I have never once had a client reject a print due to scuffing, but I admit it has always been a fear of mine as well. OTOH, I have had so many prints destroyed in coating that I have to build it into the cost the last 10 years. I offer coated and uncoated and a little pamphlet that explains the benefits of coating, but that it will add time to delivery and cost more. They, the clients, get to choose.
Many of my clients are artists themselves and as I said, don't want coating. The galleries who sell the prints usually do however.

Anyways, great advice, Ken and Charles, now I just have to build a spray booth...oy vay! ;)

I'm with you, Doug! when there is a spray booth and more gear, and an air compressor, and don't forget we have to do something about the fumes....I'm more partial to rollers :)