The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions: Acrylic Mounted Prints

Jamgolf

Hello

I have not ordered an acrylic mounted print before and wanted to get some opinions on this subject.

1. When ordering an acrylic mount do you prefer a super gloss print or a metallic print? Why?
2. Is it worth it to order a 1/4th inch vs. 1/8th thickness acrylic?
3. What are your thoughts on non-glare acrylic?
4. In addition to West Coast Imaging (and sister company Aspen Creek Photo) are there other vendors that you would recommend?
I have found Bumblejax but their pricing is similar to WCI - so might as well use WCI.
5. And on a very subjective note, is this a look you like/prefer or was/is this just a fad?
What other methods of display/presentation would you recommend for large prints (30x40in & larger)?

Thank you very much for your time and input.

Cheers!

Jamgolf

4. In addition to West Coast Imaging (and sister company Aspen Creek Photo) are there other vendors that you would recommend?
I have found Bumblejax but their pricing is similar to WCI - so might as well use WCI.
Ordered a 30"x40" Fuji Pearl print with 1/4" acrylic mount from West Coast Imaging.
They appear to be extremely slow. I hope their quality is worth the wait.

In the mean time, in addition to Bumblejax, I have also found two other viable alternatives:
1. Nevada Art based in Las Vegas
2. White Wall based on Dusseldorf Germany

After watching some video reviews I've ordered a 36"x48" print with 1/4" acrylic mount from White Wall. Their production and delivery times are very aggressive and unlike WCI, they apparently deliver with in 5-10 business days which is great considering they ship from Germany.

So I am going to receive two acrylic mounted prints from two different vendors in the next few days.
It will be fun to do a quality comparison.

Last edited:

DougDolde

You can delete the comment about Digital One. I checked with them and their current prices have gone up to $65-70 per sq ft ! Probably the highest prices in the country !

Jamgolf

You can delete the comment about Digital One. I checked with them and their current prices have gone up to $65-70 per sq ft ! Probably the highest prices in the country !
Wow - that is quite high. That's the "I dont want to sell it" type of price unless they use Optium / Tru Vue or similar product for face mount.

Jamgolf

FedEx delivered the 48"x36" piece from White Wall earlier. Nicely packaged:

Nice edge protection:

Nice mounting hardware pre-installed:

Start to finish, I'd say experience with White Wall has been quite satisfactory.

Cheers!

DougDolde

Here are some quotes from Reed Imaging in Denver. I've talked to their print manager Michael Baker and he doesn't think 1/4" adds much besides weight. Interestingly they use acrylic on both sides, something also done by Peter Lik. The anti reflective acrylic looks good and doesn't hurt saturation or contrast. Clear acrylic without this anti reflective property is very reflective.

24x32 is priced at $271.58. 1/8” face 1/8” backer. Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.
24x32 is priced at $296.71. 1/4” face 1/8” backer. Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.
24x32 P99 anti-reflective acrylic. $292.18. Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.

$350.05. 24x36 - 1/4” face, 1/8” acrylic backer, Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.
$321.54. 24x36 - 1/8” face, 1/8” acrylic backer, Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.
$348.84. 24x36 - P99 anti-reflective 1/8” face. Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.

$465.10. 30x40 - 1/4” face, 1/8” acrylic backer, Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.. Requires a DieBond backer because of weight. Add $51.50.
$439.29. 30x40 - 1/8” face, 1/8” acrylic backer, Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.
$483.48. 30x40 - P99 anti-reflective 1/8” face. Nielsen inset frame on back for hanging.

NoBob

The print from White Wall looks good.

Could you show how it's mounted to the wall, please? Could it also be hung from clips?

Thanks.

Jamgolf

The print from White Wall looks good.
Could you show how it's mounted to the wall, please? Could it also be hung from clips?
Thanks.

Mounting hardware is pre-installed (see the aluminum track).
You can put 3-4 equidistant nails or screws into the wall, in a row (with their heads 1/4" sticking outside the wall), then the channel on the aluminum track will just slide on top of the row of nails/screws.

BTW - I've ordered 3 more face mounted acrylic prints since then and I am still a fan of White Wall's work.

tcdeveau

I just noticed this thread. I'm a big fan of acrylic face mount and they're my favorite method of printing. A couple years ago I tried a couple different vendors (before I knew of Whitewall). Bumblejax worked with me quite a bit but in the end I couldn't get the colors of the prints looking the way I wanted from them. WCI had some pretty annoying restrictions on print ordering at the time, and had a minimum order dollar amount that was pretty high (maybe over $1000) for custom sizes which I didn't appreciate. In the end I found an outfit out of Colorado that produced pretty good results for the price (http://www.photographicsart.com/acrylic-metallic-facemount). Joel, the proprietor, provided excellent customer service as well whenever there was a problem.
-Todd

DougDolde

OK I've run the gamut of suggestions. However I just found THE best lab for face mounts. Not only are they reasonable but their turn around time is excellent.

They also have an OCE UV Flatbed printer and can print directly on acrylic (or anything) for about 20% less than a face mount. Facemounts 1/4" by default and include polished edges.

Print options are Epson Gloss and a couple metallic papers

Derek and his crew deserve a big mention. Top quality work and very nice to deal with. A personal touch like you don't get from the big labs

Impact Visual Arts in San Diego off Clairmont Mesa

Prices - Impact Visual Arts

Last edited:

tcdeveau

OK I've run the gamut of suggestions. However I just found THE best lab for face mounts. Not only are they reasonable but their turn around time is excellent.

They also have an OCE UV Flatbed printer and can print directly on acrylic (or anything) for about 20% less than a face mount. Facemounts 1/4" by default and include polished edges.

Print options are Epson Gloss and a couple metallic papers

Derek and his crew deserve a big mention. Top quality work and very nice to deal with. A personal touch like you don't get from the big labs

Impact Visual Arts in San Diego off Clairmont Mesa

Prices - Impact Visual Arts
Thanks for the info Doug. Their prices are pretty good, I may have to give them a whirl.

I had a conversation about this the other day with my friend / vendor who makes my large prints. We both agreed that acrylic-mounted prints are a serious gamble, since they are so fantastically easily damaged beyond repair ... the glazing is no longer a replaceable piece of protection, but is now a permanent part of the piece itself. For larger prints (50" or more) many people think that face mounting earns you admission into the world of professional art movers, anytime you need to transport a piece.

That being said, my friend believes that the way to it now, if you aren't dissuaded, is the way Doug mentions, printing directly on the acrylic with a UV printer. It's cheaper and it's relatively foolproof. He says this even though his studio doesn't yet have a UV printer.

FWIW, the prices I see quoted in this thread seem very low compared with what I've seen in NYC in past years.

DougDolde

I agree face mounts are fragile especially in large sizes. If you are going to show them in a gallery then a frame can be a protective buffer during transport and display. I made this frame from quarter sawn white oak dyed black

This one is a 30x60 made by Impact Visual Arts for the December show at the Borrego Art Institute.

However, if it was a direct sale I have no problem with Impact's shipping. They protect the face mount well and will drop ship to minimize handling.

sunset.JPG