The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

printerhead pf-05 (ipf 8400)

danlindberg

Last Monday, in the middle of a larger printout, the printer made an unusual sound and stopped. On the display it said 'Hardware Failure'. I switched off the printer and restarted. Printerhead failure, the right one.

I took it out and wiped it clean (after watching a youtube clip) and reinserted it. No go. Printerhead failure on the display and prompted to put in a new one.
I turned the printer off and ordered a new printerhead. It arrived late yesterday and i was to replace it today and continue client orders.

By turning on the printer to replace the head it imediately started to fill the old head with ink. Tried to turn it off again because I didn't want to waste ink into the old head that was going into the bin anyway, but I could not cancel the process, so in agony I had to wait for the refilling of ink. After 6-7 minutes or so, it had done its 'thing' and GUESS WHAT! no error messages. (lost lots of ink though)

I thought that before I change the head I atleast should try a small print to see what would happen. Well, no probs, printed normally!

I then printed two of my large standardsizes (printarea 1050x1450 mm) totally normal and perfect result.

So now I have a spare printerhead pf-05 :p

Anybody that can guess what just happened?

GMB

Welcome to the mystery of Canon printers. I had similar adventures with my 6300. Once it said the waste tank was full. So I ordered a new one, which after a week was "full" too. Put the old one back in and it worked.