The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson P5000 aka new 4900

f8orbust

I guess that, as with all the other new P series printers, this will lock users in North America (but not Europe or Asia) out of using 3rd party inks after the first auto-reset cycle.

Thanks Epson, but ... er, no thanks.

etrigan63

Well, my P5000 arrived today. Was very simple to set up. Only thing that went wrong was that the starter Photo Black cartridge was bad and would not be recognized by the printer. I had a 200ml Photo Black ink tank and used that after checking with Epson support. Epson is shipping me a replacement 200ml Photo Black ink tank. W00t!
IMG_0309.jpg
On other fronts, when I had my Mac Pro, I used to use a RIP called ImageNest by BlueCubit software. Having switched to Windows (because Tim Cook & Jony Ive couldn't be bothered with Pro Workstations), I find myself RIP-less. I have managed a test print using Capture One Pro v10, but a RIP will be needed once I start printing on roll paper.

Any suggestions as to which to use? i would prefer that it does not cost a mint...

For some strange reason, the iPhone photo I took of my printer did not honor the rotation. Weird.

Last edited:

kdphotography

Congratulations on the new printer. Be aware that sometimes the new motherboard/chipset that Epson has chosen to use in all their glorious wisdom to prevent the use of 3rd party inks (heaven forbid) has also made things more difficult on its loyal end users. I've been using the P9000 for about a year now---great printer except for that new chip. :rolleyes: Besides third party ink cartridges, the chip sometimes does a good job of rejecting official Epson ink cartridges. I had a 700ml cart get rejected after it had gone through about 600ml. Although I had new cartridges already on order, it cost me a print job deadline. I spoke to my supplier and they confirmed others having issues with the new chip rejecting cartridges too. The maintenance tanks---you know the same ones that are used across every model? Yeah, new chipset prevents the use of the exact EPSON branded maintenance tank. You need to use the maintenance tank with the special chip for your printer. Thanks, Epson.

It's crap like this that will make me seriously consider Canon next time around. Otherwise, these really are Epson's best printers to date.

Try, Qimage if you're looking for an inexpensive "poor man's" RIP printer utility.

Ken

stngoldberg

May I suggest downloading a trial on Imageprint it's expensive, but the output is remarkable
Stanley

etrigan63

Thank you Ken and Stan!

Ken, I had forgotten about Qimage. I had a license from ages ago and was able to upgrade to Ultimate for a very reasonable $19.95.

Stan, I looked at Imageprint but it is way out of my range. I pushed things getting this printer. Qimage will do for now.

Ken, should I get a UPS for the printer so it doesn't shut down improperly in a power blink?

kdphotography

Definite yes on the UPS for your printer. It is the least expensive protection you can get for your electronics. I run a dedicated UPS for each of my printers. You don't need the large battery back-up capacity UPS that you might get for your computer workstation, but a lower battery-back-up capable UPS (read: less inexpensive) works fine.

Ken

kdphotography

That's probably fine. I have a an older APC 500vac UPS on my 9890 and a 750 for my P9000, which is probably overkill. But cheap insurance for sure against surges and brown outs.

ken

jduncan

Well, my P5000 arrived today. Was very simple to set up. The only thing that went wrong was that the starter Photo Black cartridge was bad and would not be recognized by the printer. I had a 200ml Photo Black ink tank and used that after checking with Epson support. Epson is shipping me a replacement 200ml Photo Black ink tank. W00t!
View attachment 126093
On other fronts, when I had my Mac Pro, I used to use a RIP called ImageNest by BlueCubit software. Having switched to Windows (because Tim Cook & Jony Ive couldn't be bothered with Pro Workstations), I find myself RIP-less. I have managed a test print using Capture One Pro v10, but a RIP will be needed once I start printing on roll paper.

Any suggestions as to which to use? I would prefer that it does not cost a mint...

For some strange reason, the iPhone photo I took of my printer did not honor the rotation. Weird.
Hi,

Could you provide a brief clogging report?
1. Do you use the printer all days? if not how often?
2. Have you any clogging issues? if yes: how did you fix them?
3. Are you running periodical maintenance on this printer? if yes: how often and how much ink you estimate is consuming (per month week or any time unit you find convenient).

Thanks in advance and sorry to bother you. Canon support for high-end printers is/was not stellar in my country, and I want to know before buying. If the p5000 is anything like the 4900 it will be better to go with Canon and cross the fingers.

rmueller

Hi,

we use Mirage 3.0 from Dinax, see http://mirage.dinax.de/welcome.html

Not exactly a RIP but it simplifies a lot of things when printing. There is a two-week trial license available and the full
license doesn't cost a fortune either. Here in Germany, some shops give it for free when you buy an Epson printer.

Regards,
Ralf

Thank you Ken and Stan!

Ken, I had forgotten about Qimage. I had a license from ages ago and was able to upgrade to Ultimate for a very reasonable $19.95.

Stan, I looked at Imageprint but it is way out of my range. I pushed things getting this printer. Qimage will do for now.

Ken, should I get a UPS for the printer so it doesn't shut down improperly in a power blink?