The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 790: Replace or Repair ?

MILESF

My 8 year old Epson 7900 looks like it needs a head replacement. It's worked well and I have liked its print quality and general reliability (up to now). The question arises as to whether to pay the service cost for Epson to have it fixed or to buy something new. The service cost is around 40% or the price of a new machine. There's no great urgency as I can make do with my 3880 for the time being. I also use Imageprint and would not want to be without it. I feel a siren called 'Canon' calling but have no experience of their printers. I would likely want to stay with a 24" printer with a roll paper option.

Has anyone else here faced a similar dilemma and what did you decide ? Or anyone with a similar decision still to take ?

Thanks for any views.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. In my area, head and hose replacement was on the order of $1500 with labor and it would use up a quarter set of 350 inks to charge it -- and then no guarantees that would be all it needed. I was able to buy a functional used machine with extra paper and inks for $1900. I chose the latter route, cobbled all easy spare parts off the old machine, good inks, discharge tank, roll holder, cutter and ink wiper unit, and then called the repair guy and asked if he wanted the old machine for parts, which he did. He came and hauled off the old machine AND included a quick once over and field service on the newly acquired machine while he was there.

2WK

Another option might be to fix it yourself? There are a couple on ebay for about $400. They actually might be working fine or at least you have donor heads.

kdphotography

Eight years on an Epson Pro printer is a really good run, and imho, beyond its anticipated service life. I would watch for Epson's rebate programs and purchase a new Epson printer (or Canon) rather than try to patch up the old printer. The new Epson P7000/9000 series is noticeably better than the previous 79/9900 series in terms of print quality. I have been running my P9000 over a year now and it seems to require less attention than the previous generation (and I had a good 9900!). Interface is better and quicker too.

Scalp what parts you can---not many if opting for the new P Surecolor series, as Epson has basically locked out any other items on its motherboard/chipsets. For example, the same maintenance tanks are used but you can't use them on the new P9000 series because the motherboard locks them out. You use the same exact tank, but with the P9000 chip----no more recycling, but more waste in the landfills----so Epson can charge you another $40. :loco: Otherwise, great new printer.

My household waste (trash) service allows *free* annual pick-up of large items with an appointment. I called and had them haul off my 9900. Eyebrows raised by the trash guys I am sure when they saw the beast of a printer to pick up ;)

Ken

MILESF

Eight years on an Epson Pro printer is a really good run, and imho, beyond its anticipated service life. I would watch for Epson's rebate programs and purchase a new Epson printer (or Canon) rather than try to patch up the old printer. The new Epson P7000/9000 series is noticeably better than the previous 79/9900 series in terms of print quality. I have been running my P9000 over a year now and it seems to require less attention than the previous generation (and I had a good 9900!). Interface is better and quicker too.

Scalp what parts you can---not many if opting for the new P Surecolor series, as Epson has basically locked out any other items on its motherboard/chipsets. For example, the same maintenance tanks are used but you can't use them on the new P9000 series because the motherboard locks them out. You use the same exact tank, but with the P9000 chip----no more recycling, but more waste in the landfills----so Epson can charge you another $40. :loco: Otherwise, great new printer.

My household waste (trash) service allows *free* annual pick-up of large items with an appointment. I called and had them haul off my 9900. Eyebrows raised by the trash guys I am sure when they saw the beast of a printer to pick up ;)

Ken
Thanks for your thoughts. I can get the machine picked up and disposed of (for a modest fee) but would prefer not to do so at this point. For other unrelated reasons it wouldn't make sense to have a new printer at the same location as the 7900 and if I buy a new 24" printer it will make better sense to do so in a year or two's time. Having done some further work on it the only problem now seems to be the Light Grey print head. All the other nozzles now look fine when I print a nozzle check. So I'm going to try and get this fixed first before I decide on further steps.

rmueller

Hi Miles,

we were in a similar situation recently with our 7 year old 4900 and lost all hope since VLM/LC didn't print a single
pixel at the nozzle check. We found some help at the following site: https://myx900.com

We initiated initial ink charge two times, no result. We got an offer to have the head replaced for 1400EUR which is a
joke giving the printer is 2000EUR new.

Finally, we had the head moistured over night and then after initiating initial ink charge all colors came back and
it is working again.

So what i'm saying, your print head might not be damaged, i would continue and try cleaning.

Just my 2 cents,
Ralf

MILESF

Hi Miles,

we were in a similar situation recently with our 7 year old 4900 and lost all hope since VLM/LC didn't print a single
pixel at the nozzle check. We found some help at the following site: https://myx900.com

We initiated initial ink charge two times, no result. We got an offer to have the head replaced for 1400EUR which is a
joke giving the printer is 2000EUR new.

Finally, we had the head moistured over night and then after initiating initial ink charge all colors came back and
it is working again.

So what i'm saying, your print head might not be damaged, i would continue and try cleaning.

Just my 2 cents,
Ralf
Ralf,

Thanks for this which is very encouraging as I am embarked on a similar path. I got everything except LK working which, I think, means the print head still has life in it. So moisturising the head overnight followed by an ink charge seems a risk worth taking when set against the £1,200 that Epson wanted to service the machine.

kdphotography

Miles, are you accessing Serviceman mode for cleanings? You might find that helpful. Make sure to do a small print after each clean. If there is some "movement" on the LK nozzle check then all may not be lost; it may be a little discerning if the entire channel has dropped. Might also be worthwhile to go ahead and inspect/replace the wiper especially if you have not done so before. I've seen wipers bent out of shape which probably means not effectively cleaning the head in that area.

Good luck!

Ken

MILESF

Miles, are you accessing Serviceman mode for cleanings? You might find that helpful. Make sure to do a small print after each clean. If there is some "movement" on the LK nozzle check then all may not be lost; it may be a little discerning if the entire channel has dropped. Might also be worthwhile to go ahead and inspect/replace the wiper especially if you have not done so before. I've seen wipers bent out of shape which probably means not effectively cleaning the head in that area.

Good luck!

Ken
Ken,

Thanks for your advice here which quite closely mirrors what I'm thinking. Yes, I have been able to call up Service mode and there is "movement" on the LK head. Initially it was completely missing when I ran the nozzle check but now it is just missing three of four lines and these are stubborn and remain the same after every clean/intervention. I do now have a couple of new spare wipers. The one in the machine has been there since day 1 so should probably have been replaced long since. A couple of weeks before I can get to the machine but should be ready to give a go before the end of the month. Thanks again.

kdphotography

That is very promising to hear. I'll place bets there is a good chance she will come around. I'd keep doing quick prints/nozzle checks in the interim until you can get your hands into the printer, just to keep that ink flowing...

ken :)