The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iMac 2017 & Eizo CX271

rga

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'll start here.

I just bought an iMac 2017 and (used to) have a 2 monitor system on my 8YO Mac. The Eizo CX271 worked fine with the DVI port on the Mac.

Now I don't have a DVI port in the iMac: only 2 Thunderbolt3 ports and 4 USB 3.2 (I think) ports. I've bought just about every Apple Thunderbolt accessory:
. Thunderbolt to HDMI (works with the Eizo)
. Thunderbolt to DVI (not sure it's truly Thunderbolt 3 as there is a monitor symbol on the Thunderbolt end and a DVI male connector on the other end)
. Thunderbolt3 to USB C connector. Used to connect a USB C male and mini-port from the connector to the Eizo.

I've tried all of these with the appropriate wires to interface from the iMac to the corresponding port on the CX271. Only the HDMI works, but I cannot get the high (recommended on the monitor screen) resolution with the HDMI, even when I try all Hz options.

Any help getting this to work would be greatly appreciated! Neither the Eizo support sight has an answer, nor does a call to Brad at Capture Integration (to be honest, I haven't called Brad back and he didn't have a whole lot of time to research further).

Thanks,
Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I assume that you may have better luck with display port cables if the Eizo CX271 supports them.

Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter | Sonnet

The page cannot be found

Found this in a review of the CX271 "It's recommended to use the supplied cable if connecting via DVI interface, as inferior cables may not support the high resolution of this display." "DisplayPort: 1.07 billion from a palette of 278 trillion, DVI, HDMI: 16.77 million from a palette of 278 trillion"

Review here: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/eizo-coloredge-cx271-27inch-monitor-review-24636

Hope this helps.

Bob

rga

I'm going broke with adapter cables and "dongles"!
I have a thunderbolt to display port cable coming and will connect it to the Apple "multipart" adapter and the apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter...
Per Eizo, http://www.eizoglobal.com/support/compatibility/pc/mac/mac2017/
but it doesn't even list the CX271...:banghead:

I'll have to think about the Sonnet adapter if the above doesn't work. Thanks for the link!

I assume that you may have better luck with display port cables if the Eizo CX271 supports them.

Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort Adapter | Sonnet

The page cannot be found

Found this in a review of the CX271 "It's recommended to use the supplied cable if connecting via DVI interface, as inferior cables may not support the high resolution of this display." "DisplayPort: 1.07 billion from a palette of 278 trillion, DVI, HDMI: 16.77 million from a palette of 278 trillion"

Review here: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/eizo-coloredge-cx271-27inch-monitor-review-24636

Hope this helps.

Bob

rga

Perhaps, but my guess is that they will suggest their products (which I already have) and conclude the Eizo is faulty...
Always happens when you tell apple another manufacturer is involved with something, as well as most other vendors in my experience.
Thanks for the idea,
Bob

Call Apple ...

Knorp

Perhaps, but my guess is that they will suggest their products (which I already have) and conclude the Eizo is faulty...
Always happens when you tell apple another manufacturer is involved with something, as well as most other vendors in my experience.
Thanks for the idea,
Bob
Another thought: what about a "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" and "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter" ?
The Thunderbolt 2 connector seems to be compatible with the MiniDisplayPort.

And call Apple ... :)

rga

Thanks. I have the 3->2 adapter apple adapter. A cable with a 2->DisplayPort is on it's way. I'll let you know.
And will call apple and Eizo on Tuesday...
Thanks again,
Bob

Another thought: what about a "Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter" and "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter" ?
The Thunderbolt 2 connector seems to be compatible with the MiniDisplayPort.

And call Apple ... :)

rga

I called Apple and sent a help ticket to Eizo.
Both said to purchase an aftermarket (Apple doesn't make one) a USB-C to Display Port (not mini-display port) cable. Additionally, if you use an Eye1 or similar external calibration device, you will need a USB cable that fits the Eizo (the CX 271 requires a USB 3b).

The after market cable ordered (recommended by Apple) was this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GVQBY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works. Eizo also has this support page which may be helpful to others:
Thunderbolt 3 (MacBook Pro) Compatibility with EIZO Monitors | EIZO

Best,
Bob

rga

Works like a charm. Advice also is to not go through any sort of converter, but plug the USB3 directly into the Apple monitor’s port.
Thanks everyone.

I called Apple and sent a help ticket to Eizo.
Both said to purchase an aftermarket (Apple doesn't make one) a USB-C to Display Port (not mini-display port) cable. Additionally, if you use an Eye1 or similar external calibration device, you will need a USB cable that fits the Eizo (the CX 271 requires a USB 3b).

The after market cable ordered (recommended by Apple) was this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074GVQBY2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works. Eizo also has this support page which may be helpful to others:
Thunderbolt 3 (MacBook Pro) Compatibility with EIZO Monitors | EIZO

Best,
Bob