The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for advice: Canon or Epson for large format printing at home?

Hello dear experienced large format printers!

I recently visited a photo show where a camera firm offered some clients exhibition printing using a Epson Surecolor SC-P20000 for printing on Photo Rag 188 in size up to 35” x 28”. So I took some 16 Bit Tiff files (around 300 MB file size) from a MF H6D-100c optimized for printing in PS to the best of my knowledge for that size. They were printing using Mac and Mirage. The results were fantastic! When the first print came out the printer was acknowledging the fine details, sharpness and clarity on the print out of a MF camera system. I was happy to hear this.

A few weeks later I am thinking in investing into a large format printer with size up to 44”. I think larger than that would be overkill for my needs. Also the weight and size of the machines is a burden. I have my studio in the penthouse of a 5 floor building; there is an elevator but don’t know if large enough to bring up a printer in that size.

I probably will not print that often, maybe 2-3 times a month. My clients usually requesting only the files for theirs web and product catalogs etc., but maybe I can market some fine art prints for clients to expand the business. There is also an opening of a Fine Art Gallery next to me with which I can try to make cooperation.

Why I am telling all this? Because I heard that even in these modern times one of the biggest problems with such printers is the clogging of nozzles and heads when not printing continuously?

To cut a long story short: I am looking at the Canon ImagePROGRAF PRO-4000 or an equivalent Epson. My printer tells me that the Canon is kind of “user-friendlier” and also more economical than Epson, but Epson print slightly better (although both on a high level).

What can you advise taking my constellation into consideration?

Thanks.
Juerg

JohnBrew

I use a Canon 6400. I have also used and have smaller format Epson's. IMO, the Canon is a better printer to own. It is also physically smaller than equivalent Epson which seems to be a concern of yours. I am also constrained by space. The ink lasts longer than Epson. I cannot look at a print from an Epson or Canon and tell you which printer was used. The heads are user serviceable. But the number one reason I would go with Canon is the support team (and there are no charges!). Head and shoulders above Epson. Also you state you are concerned about clogs if you don't use it enough. I would say I print much as you do - 3 or 4 prints a month. Never a clog, but then I've been lucky with most of my printers. My Epson 3800 finally died after years of faithful service with an un-clearable clog. I would have had to send it far away to have it repaired and the price to fix it (and with shipping costs) was more than a new printer!
And when my Epson 3880 dies I will replace it with a Canon.

I use a Canon 6400. I have also used and have smaller format Epson's. IMO, the Canon is a better printer to own. It is also physically smaller than equivalent Epson which seems to be a concern of yours. I am also constrained by space. The ink lasts longer than Epson. I cannot look at a print from an Epson or Canon and tell you which printer was used. The heads are user serviceable. But the number one reason I would go with Canon is the support team (and there are no charges!). Head and shoulders above Epson. Also you state you are concerned about clogs if you don't use it enough. I would say I print much as you do - 3 or 4 prints a month. Never a clog, but then I've been lucky with most of my printers. My Epson 3800 finally died after years of faithful service with an un-clearable clog. I would have had to send it far away to have it repaired and the price to fix it (and with shipping costs) was more than a new printer!
And when my Epson 3880 dies I will replace it with a Canon.
Thank you John. That was my impressions as well. I probably will go with a Canon, don't know what size will fit best, but the Pro4000 is very tempting. Anybody has experience with this printer?

vjbelle

I have an 8400 and am a happy camper. This replaced a 9900 which had a head clog after 3 years and I simply threw it away. I've learned all of my lessons trying to repair Epson printers. I print in spurts with the printer sitting idle for long periods of time (4 to 6 months). I've had to replace one head which was very easy and I'm right back to normal. You will be happy with the new series of Canon printers......

Victor

Don Libby

Can't speak about Canon as I have never used them; however I have used Epson large printers and still do. The 9900 is a beast to move and setup so make certain that if you go with a 44" printer you have at least 3-friends helping. (I've found beer helps) I just downsized to a P700 as I'm currently printing differently than I once was.Clogging can be a real PIA especially if you live in a dry climate like I do in the SW US. The lack of humidity is the main culprit in clogging however there is a workaround. I keep a humidifier in my studio going year round on a timer to run for several hours a day. The second trick is getting a copy of Harvey Head Cleaner. Harvey is installed on you computer and set up to run a test strip at a time of your choice. I began running Harvey last year and so far have had no issues.Good luckDon

bab

Hello dear experienced large format printers!

I recently visited a photo show where a camera firm offered some clients exhibition printing using a Epson Surecolor SC-P20000 for printing on Photo Rag 188 in size up to 35” x 28”. So I took some 16 Bit Tiff files (around 300 MB file size) from a MF H6D-100c optimized for printing in PS to the best of my knowledge for that size. They were printing using Mac and Mirage. The results were fantastic! When the first print came out the printer was acknowledging the fine details, sharpness and clarity on the print out of a MF camera system. I was happy to hear this.

A few weeks later I am thinking in investing into a large format printer with size up to 44”. I think larger than that would be overkill for my needs. Also the weight and size of the machines is a burden. I have my studio in the penthouse of a 5 floor building; there is an elevator but don’t know if large enough to bring up a printer in that size.

I probably will not print that often, maybe 2-3 times a month. My clients usually requesting only the files for theirs web and product catalogs etc., but maybe I can market some fine art prints for clients to expand the business. There is also an opening of a Fine Art Gallery next to me with which I can try to make cooperation.

Why I am telling all this? Because I heard that even in these modern times one of the biggest problems with such printers is the clogging of nozzles and heads when not printing continuously?

To cut a long story short: I am looking at the Canon ImagePROGRAF PRO-4000 or an equivalent Epson. My printer tells me that the Canon is kind of “user-friendlier” and also more economical than Epson, but Epson print slightly better (although both on a high level).

What can you advise taking my constellation into consideration?

Thanks.
Juerg
Either printer would work similar, many fine art printers use Epson printers maybe because they have produced exceptional results or because that’s what they know and trust. My personal story was started with Epson almost switched to Canon but I knew Epson so the new one is an Epson. With today’s new software either one would do just fine!