The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon 6400 question

JohnBrew

I had to move my iPF 6400 last month to storage for five weeks until I can move into my new house. Canon instructs you to drain all the ink from the printer and remove the cartridges before moving. I did this and noticed most of the cartridges had been completely drained of ink! And I was getting a notice that the maintenance tank was full.
So I looked at B&H for an entire set of replacement cartridges. About $1700 + 60 some odd dollars for a maintenance tank. I can buy a NEW printer for $1500. Admittedly the new printer only comes with 90 ml cartridges and the replacement set are 300 ml. I also replaced my print heads this year.
Anyone else out there have this situation before? And what was your conclusion?

Last edited:

JohnBrew

Actually, looking at replacing all the "normal" 130 ml cartridges comes out about $930, so certainly an alternative to scrapping the printer. I'll just have to get it set up in the new location and see what's what.

scho

I purchased my Canon ipF6100 10 years ago and I've replaced print heads (L & R) 3 times and had a complete tune-up and overhaul 3 years ago. This week both print heads went out and need replacing, along with the maintenance tank. I decided that now was the time to retire the old beast as I did not want to spend another $1000 in parts and ink too get it running again. Offered it free to anyone that wanted to invest the money to restore it and no takers so now I need to hire someone to haul it to the recycle center. I will not buy another large format printer (24 inch +). I'll print with a 17 inch Epson and farm out large print work to Bay Photo.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just switched from Epson 3880 to Canon pro-1000 and could not be happier.

gnuyork

I have the 6400 and it's collecting dust.

I didn't use it for a while and when I fired it up, I got a few error codes. One was low ink in one of the blacks, so I ordered and replaced. Then one with the heads, ordered and replaced both heads (as well as maintenance cart) and still no dice! Some sort of overheating code and then another code - something to do with the carriage assembly. So even after spending near $1k for these parts and ink, I still have a giant paper weight. Cannon support said it would cost me $1500 to come out and repair no matter what the problem is. Yikes!

I think this was a bad investment. I bought it to print my work for a show, as it was actually more cost effective than sending out for printing, plus I enjoy printing...but I did not make one sale at the show. I kinda figured I wouldn't, as it was retirement community, was more for the pride of showing work. But still, dumb investment on my part.

JohnBrew

I just switched from Epson 3880 to Canon pro-1000 and could not be happier.
Matt, my 3880 was working well but I still have two weeks until I move into the new place to see if everything is ok. A friend bought the new Epson replacement for the 3880 and had difficulties from the start. I noticed it was front feed which was an immediate turn off. If storage kills both my printers I'll do what you did!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Matt, my 3880 was working well but I still have two weeks until I move into the new place to see if everything is ok. A friend bought the new Epson replacement for the 3880 and had difficulties from the start. I noticed it was front feed which was an immediate turn off. If storage kills both my printers I'll do what you did!
John,

Update: I'm still extremely happy with the Canon 1000. I have not wasted a single print through mis-sizing or nozzle clogs.

--Matt

JohnBrew

I have the 6400 and it's collecting dust.

I didn't use it for a while and when I fired it up, I got a few error codes. One was low ink in one of the blacks, so I ordered and replaced. Then one with the heads, ordered and replaced both heads (as well as maintenance cart) and still no dice! Some sort of overheating code and then another code - something to do with the carriage assembly. So even after spending near $1k for these parts and ink, I still have a giant paper weight. Cannon support said it would cost me $1500 to come out and repair no matter what the problem is. Yikes!

I think this was a bad investment. I bought it to print my work for a show, as it was actually more cost effective than sending out for printing, plus I enjoy printing...but I did not make one sale at the show. I kinda figured I wouldn't, as it was retirement community, was more for the pride of showing work. But still, dumb investment on my part.
I love printing and would probably quit photography if I couldn't print. OTOH, I bought the larger format printer just for me, not to sell prints. I enjoy printing large and throwing it up on the wall. But if I had to do it over again I'd probably take a pass. The initial cost, replacement heads and ink and the paper make it a sheer indulgence. Not to mention the size of the beast!

scho

I purchased my Canon ipF6100 10 years ago and I've replaced print heads (L & R) 3 times and had a complete tune-up and overhaul 3 years ago. This week both print heads went out and need replacing, along with the maintenance tank. I decided that now was the time to retire the old beast as I did not want to spend another $1000 in parts and ink too get it running again. Offered it free to anyone that wanted to invest the money to restore it and no takers so now I need to hire someone to haul it to the recycle center. I will not buy another large format printer (24 inch +). I'll print with a 17 inch Epson and farm out large print work to Bay Photo.
Just a followup on the ipF6100 saga. I had it hauled down to the local recycle center (also could have dropped it off for recycle at Staples). Now happily printing with an Epson P800.

JohnBrew

Update: everything is working great after the move. I did spend over $800 in ink and maintenance cartridge, however.