The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Pro-1000 ink question

philipus

Hi all

I just took delivery of a Pro-1000 which I set up today. Am I right in believing that they ship with full cartridges? If so, why does the print utility read like this after only the setup procedure?

Ink on installation.jpg

I've read with interest posts about ink wastage, esp by Sabin, and wonder if the above is a result of this 'feature' of the printer?

Also, to keep wastage at a minimum, should I use the following settings?

- Keep the printer ON, i.e. disable auto off, and print at least weekly (which I will easily do)
- Auto nozzle check OFF
- Ink Maintenance OFF

I'm using the latest firmware 2.070 in case that makes a difference.

Thanks a lot in advance
Philip

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
They DO ship with full cartridges, but it takes 1/2 of the cartridges to fill the ink lines.

Sad, but true.

I still prefer it HUGELY over the many Epson's I've had over the decades.

--Matt

philipus

Thank you Matt, well that at least is positive. A bit worrying, though, that the maintenance cartridge fills upp already before anything has been done with the printer.

I am going to try those settings Sabin recommends. Are you using them?

br
Philip

They DO ship with full cartridges, but it takes 1/2 of the cartridges to fill the ink lines.

Sad, but true.

I still prefer it HUGELY over the many Epson's I've had over the decades.

--Matt

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The ink, paper, and aggravation I save from no mis-sized prints and no clogged nozzles more than makes up for any ink usage. I haven't changed anything from the defaults.

Best,

Matt

philipus

Ok thank you very much Matt. I will play around a bit and see what happens.

My first impression of the printer is that it is a very solid piece of kit.

br
Philip

The ink, paper, and aggravation I save from no mis-sized prints and no clogged nozzles more than makes up for any ink usage. I haven't changed anything from the defaults.

Best,

Matt