The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Imageprograf TM-200 24"

danlindberg

Just read two things about this printer, 1.pigmented ink 2.ready for exhibition work

Is this so? It is deadcheap and I need a new 24" printer, could this do photography prints?

Just read two things about this printer, 1.pigmented ink 2.ready for exhibition work

Is this so? It is deadcheap and I need a new 24" printer, could this do photography prints?
From the IT supplies website:
"The TM-200 printer is not only ideal for printing technical documents, CAD drawings and GIS maps, but also posters, signage and displays with the use of Canon's LUCIA TD water resistant pigment ink."

It only has 5 inks... and I personally wouldn't consider $2,500 "dead cheap" for a 24" printer. What matters is what you find acceptable.

Shashin

However, I have no idea the loss of colourtransitions with only 5 cartridges? I will try and get a sample printed from Canon.

Thanks for replies :)
Dan, I would be very interested in your opinion on this printer. I think the Canon printers offer great value, but I would be interested in their quality. I am familiar with Epson.

RLB

Dan, I would be very interested in your opinion on this printer. I think the Canon printers offer great value, but I would be interested in their quality. I am familiar with Epson.
This is a new line of "general purpose" low cost printers Canon is introducing. Actually very similar models have been around for a long time but marketed differently.

As a 15 year Canon ProGraph dealer, I can only recommend the Pro series for any serious photo printing: Pro2000, 4000, 6000 units which are 12 color pigmented ink units.

Another thought: We sold many of these machines over the years and find some would be far better off financially and quality wise by simply partnering with excellent source for your printing needs. All ink jet printers need to be used very frequently to be trouble free. In fact, our users who print the most sq ft have the fewest issues. If you factor in the cost of the printer, inks, paper, profiles, print heads, time, etc, a significant portion of photographers would come out far ahead by outsourcing their printing to a trusted resource.

Since our company offers both, we'd be happy to help you with either direction you choose. Hahnemühle Certified print shop and Canon Platinum ProGraph printer dealer: www.BullivantGallery.com

danlindberg

Will, I let you know if I can find someone making samples!

RLB, I agree with your suggestion to partner with someone having this service is something I should look into as well, but I have good experience with both an iPF8300 and now an iPF8400. The latter still in my office in Spain and I still need it there. Now I am more and more in Sweden and cold definitely use a 24" machine here as well.

Just last week I printed the iPF8400 for the first time in 7 weeks. No probs. That's quite impressive since I totally agree that they are so much happier if they are working every other day. Because this printer has been so 'nice' to me I tend to look at the Canon offerings.

Appreciate your input!

danlindberg

Very limited time for testing but I am getting there. Just wanted to say that I am pretty impressed so far from this reasonably priced printer.
Printing 50x50cm and from normal viewing distance I could not tell the difference from my iPF 8400.
Don't know if I was lucky in paper!? My usual paper was not in stock and I was recommended - Innova Décor Smooth Art 210g - and feels/looks much more expensive than its €125 for 30 metres (24"). This could well be a keeper at less than half price than what I am used to.

DougDolde

Another thought: We sold many of these machines over the years and find some would be far better off financially and quality wise by simply partnering with excellent source for your printing needs. All ink jet printers need to be used very frequently to be trouble free. In fact, our users who print the most sq ft have the fewest issues. If you factor in the cost of the printer, inks, paper, profiles, print heads, time, etc, a significant portion of photographers would come out far ahead by outsourcing their printing to a trusted resource.
I agree and have been having my canvas prints made by my supplier https://impactvisualarts.com/ after my HP Z5200 bit the dust. I order them made with aqueous ink and do the coating (Timeless Matte) and stretching myself. It just doesn't seem worth the expense of buying and maintaining a new printer