The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware for Canon Pro-1000 allows 17"x46" prints

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Canon Pro-1000 originally printed only 17"x22". An update some years ago raised that to 17"x25", and that's been the maximum for some time. The Epson P800 handles roll media, so has always had an advantage over the Canon for panoramas.

The newly released firmware 3.010 for the Pro-1000 increases the maximum print size to 17"x46". My first attempt had driver conflicts, but after downloading a different Canon plugin, I got it to recognize the paper size. The bottom of this print shows the earlier mistake:

So, good news for Pro-1000 users who have been frustrated by the limited print height.

Matt

Shashin

Or move to a town with shorter buildings...

But I totally agree that page length can be frustrating. Especially with the first print that you don't realize that has a limit. Sometimes duct tape just will not be the ideal solution...

D

Deleted member 7792

The Canon Pro-1000 originally printed only 17"x22". An update some years ago raised that to 17"x25", and that's been the maximum for some time. The Epson P800 handles roll media, so has always had an advantage over the Canon for panoramas.

The newly released firmware 3.010 for the Pro-1000 increases the maximum print size to 17"x46". My first attempt had driver conflicts, but after downloading a different Canon plugin, I got it to recognize the paper size. The bottom of this print shows the earlier mistake:

So, good news for Pro-1000 users who have been frustrated by the limited print height.

Matt
Matt, thanks for the heads-up. I've downloaded the firmware and will install it today. Which driver/plugin did you have to download to get the new firmware to work?

Joe

MGrayson

Matt, thanks for the heads-up. I've downloaded the firmware and will install it today. Which driver/plugin did you have to download to get the new firmware to work?

Joe
Joe,

This is on a Mac, so the rest may or may not be relevant.

I used to use the Canon Print Studio Pro plugin, which worked flawlessly for me for choosing paper size and type. This software has not been updated, and it would not allow paper sizes longer than 25". The "Professional Print and Layout" plugin, which is very similar to PSP, *has* been updated, and it worked the first time.

I ran some other strange tools, like a Canon Media Updater, and that might have been a necessary part of the process, but I can't be sure. I would look at all the utilities on the same page as the firmware updater. I deleted the printer, installed latest drivers, and added the printer back. Again, not sure if that was part of getting it to work.

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

MGrayson

Matt, I use a Mac as well. I haven't used Canon Print Studio Pro and typically print using Lightroom or Photoshop. So I may have to do some experimenting to find a good firmware/software combo. Thanks.

Joe
Joe,

I have gotten excellent output from the Canon plugins - indistinguishable from QImage under a 12x loupe. If you can't get LR or PS to recognize the longer paper size, try "Professional Print and Layout" (it's free). And if you DO figure out LR and PS, please let me know how you did it!

Matt