Site Sponsors

Thread: Are the Epsons really as bad as the reviews?

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Epsons really as bad as the reviews?

So my last printer was an Epson 2200. Right, an old printer. I was fine with the output, very satisfied. The kids moved back in for a few years and I lost my office and printer room. That was 8 years ago. How can someone who spent decades (since the 60's) making silver and then digital prints be satisfied with only seeing images on a display. This guy isn't.

So reading reviews of printers on the B&H site I can't help but notice how many are bad. All those bad reviews but the printers still get 4 stars?! So? I'm looking at the P600 I guess though I KNOW that the 800 will serve me well as the ink carts are huge. I remember the tiny 2200 carts. I may even get the P400 just to dip my feet back in.

Before all this happens I need to clear away boxes of test prints and reject prints stored away in 12-15 archival boxes of various sizes. But then I can fill them again.

So are the printers OK or crap and I should look at Canon? Anyone have feelings about the P600/400 and B&W printing? I remember years ago being told I couldn't get a good B&W from the 2200. Nonsense. Back then the Quadtone RIP was all te rage, now I hear the Epson does a very fine job all by itself. I want to print and not geek out on RIPs.

Thanks

Neil

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Are the Epsons really as bad as the reviews?

Neil,

IMHO, Epson printers are very good. I moved to the Canon Pro-1000 after years with the Epson 3800 and 3880, and have had fewer headaches. But I wouldn't say they were bad on the Epsons. Printing at least weekly will prevent most reported problems (I print less frequently). One thing I miss with the Canon is the use of roll paper. I can cut a 48" piece from a roll and put that in the Pro-1000, but it's a bit of a pain. The P800 will hold the roll, but doesn't, I believe, have a cutter.

My 2p,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I've had many foto printers over 21 years, mostly Epsons and some Canons.. While i find the Canons to be very good, their printer-setup interfaces were infuriating to use and I just gave up on them.. I've had two Epson SureColor P800s (serially) for several years.. I use it as my general-purpose homeoffice printer and foto printer, and it has NEVER suffered an ink clog and has NEVER made a poor-looking print.. I LOVE mine and would buy another if, for instance, I gave a less-fortunate fotog mine...which I did about a year ago..

So...I haven't read the reviews you mentioned, but my P800 is EXCELLENT.

FWIW, Luminous Landscape.com has a good summary of printers... https://luminous-landscape.com/on-pr...d-definitions/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post
    I've had many foto printers over 21 years, mostly Epsons and some Canons.. While i find the Canons to be very good, their printer-setup interfaces were infuriating to use and I just gave up on them.. I've had two Epson SureColor P800s (serially) for several years.. I use it as my general-purpose homeoffice printer and foto printer, and it has NEVER suffered an ink clog and has NEVER made a poor-looking print.. I LOVE mine and would buy another if, for instance, I gave a less-fortunate fotog mine...which I did about a year ago..

So...I haven't read the reviews you mentioned, but my P800 is EXCELLENT.

FWIW, Luminous Landscape.com has a good summary of printers... https://luminous-landscape.com/on-pr...d-definitions/
    agree completely!
    My advisor and dealer for all digital equipment has many customers and has had zero problems with any SC P800 printers he has delivered.
    His customers are professional photographers, architects (he also advisd my architectural office).
    My SC P800 printer which I bought when they came out has never even needed a cleaning even after coming back after a vacation.
    maurice da silva solis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had an Epson Pro 7900 for almost nine years. Most of the time I printed once a month or less often. Had on my calendar "run 7900" which reminded me to print an ink test every other week. Often that worked out to once a month. The first ink test always showed clogs on two or more heads. They'd disappear after one or two Normal cleanings. I had to run Power Cleans about six times. Pairs Cleaning didn't seem to do anything more than Normal cleaning. Prints on paper and canvas were always wonderful. Printed for more than a year with a Light Cyan clog that just wouldn't clear up, but I could not see a difference between the "clogged head" print and my reference print. Bottom line for me is that it was a wonderful printer despite my less than ideal care of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have had the Epson 7880 for 10 years or more in my Florida home which I occupy 6 months a year.
    Power down when I leave each May, and power clean twice when I return each October....Never a clog in 10 years...never any maintenance needed in all those years.
    Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

I had to junk an Epson 7900, the head repair cost was more than it was worth. I'd consider a P800 but not big enough to bother with