Site Sponsors

Thread: Epson 3800 users?

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Epson 3800 users?

I'm looking at the Epson 3800 and would like some current users input.

Does it really do excellent B&W? No changing cartridges?

Is it true there's no Firewire support?

What do you most like about it? Least like about it?

What did it replace?

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Epson 3800 users?

Hi John:

I use it and am really happy with it. Yes, the B&W is EXCELLENT, but only if you have a really good profile to print it with Honestly, there is not much to NOT like about this printer. It is true there is not a firewire port, but there certainly is a USB2 port and LAN support. In my case I sold off my 7600 printer when this one arrived, and it was so good, that a few weeks later I sold off my 7800...

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jack,

As you perhaps remember I bought a 3800 at Calumet in June last year, before relocating back to Europe. The printer is still sitting unopened in my storage in Stockholm, with a set of unused cartridges.

What kind of concerns do you see with aging, especially the cartridges? Obviously custom profiles is a good idea, I have an Eye-One Photo for profiling.

Lars

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine when it first came out. The reason was to have some glossy capability. The B&W out of the can is good too but then I'm not that fussy. Since my production printer is a 9600 I really don't like just sheet fed since it wastes paper unless I plan for it in adance. Currently I "save" it for the Harman FB AI which is a terrific paper in this printer. I also have a 4800 for matte production work. That 17" size seems to work for a lot of jobs.