The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3800 users?

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I'm looking at the Epson 3800 and would like some current users input.

Does it really do excellent B&W? No changing cartridges?

Is it true there's no Firewire support?

What do you most like about it? Least like about it?

What did it replace?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi John:

I use it and am really happy with it. Yes, the B&W is EXCELLENT, but only if you have a really good profile to print it with :) Honestly, there is not much to NOT like about this printer. It is true there is not a firewire port, but there certainly is a USB2 port and LAN support. In my case I sold off my 7600 printer when this one arrived, and it was so good, that a few weeks later I sold off my 7800...

Cheers,

Lars

Jack,

As you perhaps remember I bought a 3800 at Calumet in June last year, before relocating back to Europe. The printer is still sitting unopened in my storage in Stockholm, with a set of unused cartridges.

What kind of concerns do you see with aging, especially the cartridges? Obviously custom profiles is a good idea, I have an Eye-One Photo for profiling.

Lars

Greg Lockrey

I bought mine when it first came out. The reason was to have some glossy capability. The B&W out of the can is good too but then I'm not that fussy. ;) Since my production printer is a 9600 I really don't like just sheet fed since it wastes paper unless I plan for it in adance. Currently I "save" it for the Harman FB AI which is a terrific paper in this printer. I also have a 4800 for matte production work. That 17" size seems to work for a lot of jobs.