Site Sponsors

Thread: Spectral Comparison of Different Papers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spectral Comparison of Different Papers

If you like data, here is a link to an interactive chart of the spectral response of several popular papers: http://www.pusztaiphoto.com/articles.../webchart.shtm
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Steve

Re: Spectral Comparison of Different Papers

Jack, is a flat line a better paper. How do we read this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Basically a flatter line means that the paper has less spectral (color) shift, which in turn implies more accurate color rendition. OBA's in paper often skew colors, especially in the high end of the spectrum (blues and violets), which is the the shorter wavelengths or the left end of these graphs. This is only data and should be used as such --- IOW if you notice a paper is NOT delivering the proper colors to your eyes, you should look for a paper that has a flatter line... It is probably most beneficial to normal users for analyzing softer color gradients, like human skin-tones, for accuracy. However, also of importance for any photographer needing accurate color reproductions, like for pre-press or critical commercial/industrial output.

Ironically, one of my favorite papers -- Epson Premium Luster -- shows a large dip at the left, yet to my eyes the colors remain quite accurate and more importantly, pleasant to my eye for the types of images I print on it, so I will happily continue using it

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Mitch Alland

Too bad it doesn't deal with dMax as well, as that is what I'm more interested in.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Too bad it doesn't deal with dMax as well, as that is what I'm more interested in.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Agreed. The above is probably of limited value unless you need hyper-critical color accuracy in print output.

BUT! For really good D-Max, I can highly recommend Harman FB AI Gloss
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a plot of the sprectral response for the paper - presumably pigment ink is reflective so the more ink is laid down the less the paper spectral response matters?

The flatter the line, the less surprises in different viewing conditions?
    Last edited by Lars; 13th February 2008 at 05:58.