Site Sponsors

Thread: Thinking 7900 Which papers???

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking 7900 Which papers???

After living with my Kodak 8660 (I REALLY like dye sub) but looks like finally we have a printer that may satisfy my desire for a nice continuous tone; and one that I may be able to manage!

However, being new to ink jet, need some paper recommendations I prefer glossy, but will do some art matte.

BTW, anyone else (besides Rob) considereing the 7900?

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Thinking 7900 Which papers???

Right now, the 7900 (or the 9900) are on my short list.

My favorite paper, hands down, is Harman gloss FB Al (regular, not warm). After that I do like Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster, for art I like Epson Ultra Smooth FA and Hahnemuhle Photo Rag.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Subscriber Member Georg Baumann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Matter of taste and application at the end. The ones i like the most are:

- Epson Exhibition Fibre
    - Epson Premium Luster
    - Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art
    - Hahnemuehle photoRag
    - Hahnemuehle Bamboo

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I've been getting my ink and media supplies from Inkjetart.com a company in UT. That said the 2 types of media I've been using the most are Hahnemuhle Fineart Baryta and Epson Premier Art waterproof glossy and matte canvas. I also have a supply of Micro Ceramic Luster in both sheets and rolls as well as a couple other miscellaneous papers.

I do my main printing on a 9800 but still have a 4000 for small jobs.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Victor,
    I have a Epson 7900 (with the photospectrometer) on order, should arrive in two weeks.
    Until now I have been using the 4800. Favourite paper is Harman Fibre Glossy Ai for which I've made my own profile. Otherwise I use a variety of Epson and Ilford Papers.
    The newly announced nanocoated (that word had to turn up in papers as well, of course ) Ilford Gallery papers look interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Fave papers so far:

Epson VFA
    Epson color profile excellent + Eric Chan ABW profile. Amazing blacks, saturation. Fave color matte paper. B&W with stock Epson profile - nah.

Harman FB AL (not WT)
    Amazing detail, but larger sizes swell too much in heavily ink areas (paper takes on a wave form shape) for my 3800s pizza wheels liking (not an issue with your 7900) - JUST scuffs a couple. My fave for B&W but handling issue at larger sizes relegates it to #2 to the excellent GFS. Also handles more like a wet print when just inked - it feels 'wet'. May go back to it for more printing once the guilty wheels wear down - or I decide to remove them.

Ilford GFS.
    Eric Chan's ABW profile & custom color on way. Warmer tone than Harman Fb AL. Stock Ilford profile - yuck. Great B&W using the custom ABW profile. Great detail, inexpensive, handles well. Like how paper handles better than Harman FB. 17x22 no issue at all on my printer. Heavily inked areas don't swell/cause distortion as much as Harman FB.

Epson Exh Fiber
    Great detail, brilliant color, good blacks. Very brilliant white paper. Slight texture vs GFS. Where GFS would be say Kodak 160NC, EEF would be 160VC or maybe Velvia. Lots of color 'pop'.

Not found anything in a Hahnemuehle, Crane, etc that appeals to me as much as the preceding - so far. Even with custom ABW profiles, tend to find weak blacks, or in color, poor blacks and low-sat colors. Part of issue is almost everything other than basic P&S inkjet papers around here need to be ordered in. Makes testing a costly PITA.

Now that said, paper is SO very personal (and dependent on the shot in question), I'd pick up as many letter-sized sample packs as you can - or borrow samples from fellow shooters and print and play. Use the the same image, same USM, same saturation, etc - no attempt to equalize contrast/colors between papers. Just change the paper profile.

You blow thru some paper and ink, but enables you to narrow down what you'll be dealing with before you blow $$ on larger paper orders - and if a marginal paper could become a fave with a little extra PP TLC, custom profile, etc.
    Last edited by robmac; 28th May 2009 at 06:16.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We just started carrying Canson Infinity papers in our store. The company is a merger of the two largest and oldest French paper mills, Canson and Arches. Really nice paper, all without any OBAs.

I'd suggest you try out a sample pack and see if you like it.

We offer free ground shipping on everything, including paper, and have lower prices than B&H on Canson paper.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami