The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 3800, any helpful tips?

Eoin

Hi, after some discussion over on the Sony forum I decided to replace my old reliable Canon i9950 for a new standard Epson 3800. I set it up last night and ran a few prints off just to make sure everything was OK.

My initial impression was good, but not hugely better than the i9950. But it's early days yet and I'm guessing when I start to print B&W the differences will become more obvious.

I've read Eric Chans FAQ pages for the 3800 but just wanted to ask if anyone here has some useful tips 'n' tricks baised on their experience with this printer and the paper types I plan to use. I could save me hours of pain, paper and frustration.

Papers I use and have the ICC profiles are,
Ilford Gold fibre Silk as my general paper
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308GSM
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta

Printing from a Mac and I use Aperture and CS3 for output.

Thanks

Lisa

If you print large-size (for example, 13"x19") papers in your 3800, use the little plastic "edge guide" that flips out from the right side of one of the slide-out paper tray sections to help keep the paper straight. You may get prints that are skewed on the page if you don't. It's a plastic hinged thing that is impossible to notice if you aren't looking for it.

I mainly use Gold Fibre Silk in my 3800. It works very well with the Ilford-supplied profile.

Lisa