The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Epson 3800 and Velvet Fine Art

donbga

Hello Everyone,

When I choose the Velvet Fine Art Media type the driver for the Epson 3800 pops up a dialog box telling me that the paper must be feed from the rear.

But I've found if I go to the Paper Source pulldown on the Paper Tab I can choose Manual - Front.

So am I correct in assuming I can feed Velvet Fine Art paper from the front? (I know I could just try this myself but I'm dorking around with the driver settings without turning the printer on.)

I really dislike the rear paper feed so I'm hoping the the front feed is simplier to use; I want to print some long panos.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I think it has to do with the thickness of the VFA paper. The rear feed can handle it but I don't think the front is recommended.

robmac

I use VFA (awesome color matte paper) all the time - I feed 13x19 and 17x22 via the rear (top) manual feeder on the 3800, no issues. HATE using the front feeder - needless PITA and requires too much space at rear of printer.

I have my printing shelving rack (holds two printers, 2 scanners, paper, etc) locked to wall with DIY clamps to wall studs to get a rock-solid printing platform and just hate undoing the thing unless I REALLY have to :>

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I use VFA (awesome color matte paper) all the time - I feed 13x19 and 17x22 via the rear (top) manual feeder on the 3800, no issues. HATE using the front feeder - needless PITA and requires too much space at rear of printer.

I have my printing shelving rack (holds two printers, 2 scanners, paper, etc) locked to wall with DIY clamps to wall studs to get a rock-solid printing platform and just hate undoing the thing unless I REALLY have to :>
Rear is preferred here...just set the platen gap to the widest possible...

Give it a try...

Much more convenient than the front.

Bob

carstenw

I believe that the rear feed is correct. The front one is meant for papers from 1.0-1.3 mm thick only, as it raises the print heads, and the extra gap will cause you to lose sharpness.