Site Sponsors

Thread: Epson 3800 and Velvet Fine Art

Post Thanks / Like

Epson 3800 and Velvet Fine Art

Hello Everyone,

When I choose the Velvet Fine Art Media type the driver for the Epson 3800 pops up a dialog box telling me that the paper must be feed from the rear.

But I've found if I go to the Paper Source pulldown on the Paper Tab I can choose Manual - Front.

So am I correct in assuming I can feed Velvet Fine Art paper from the front? (I know I could just try this myself but I'm dorking around with the driver settings without turning the printer on.)

I really dislike the rear paper feed so I'm hoping the the front feed is simplier to use; I want to print some long panos.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Epson 3800 and Velvet Fine Art

I think it has to do with the thickness of the VFA paper. The rear feed can handle it but I don't think the front is recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

I use VFA (awesome color matte paper) all the time - I feed 13x19 and 17x22 via the rear (top) manual feeder on the 3800, no issues. HATE using the front feeder - needless PITA and requires too much space at rear of printer.

I have my printing shelving rack (holds two printers, 2 scanners, paper, etc) locked to wall with DIY clamps to wall studs to get a rock-solid printing platform and just hate undoing the thing unless I REALLY have to :>

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I use VFA (awesome color matte paper) all the time - I feed 13x19 and 17x22 via the rear (top) manual feeder on the 3800, no issues. HATE using the front feeder - needless PITA and requires too much space at rear of printer.

I have my printing shelving rack (holds two printers, 2 scanners, paper, etc) locked to wall with DIY clamps to wall studs to get a rock-solid printing platform and just hate undoing the thing unless I REALLY have to :>
    Rear is preferred here...just set the platen gap to the widest possible...

Give it a try...

Much more convenient than the front.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the rear feed is correct. The front one is meant for papers from 1.0-1.3 mm thick only, as it raises the print heads, and the extra gap will cause you to lose sharpness.
    Carsten - Website