The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

excuse my ignorance

J

Jamesmd

is it possible to print slides ( 35mm) ? :eek:
sorry if its a stupid question .

James

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
James,

Do you mean make prints from 35mm slides, or do you mean print a 35mm transparency slide from a digital file? The answer is yes for both, but the processes are very different ;)

J

Jamesmd

First thing thanks for replys.
I mean print slides transp. At home if possible.

The thing is I was wondering if showing pics instead of a video proyector from an "analog" one , photos would get some of the nice film light and optics magic back . It might be stupid , ?
With sound it works fine , I do something similar and it's much warmer than pure digital .

Thanks

James

J

Jamesmd

sorry , I'm a sound editor and all sound postpo is now digital all the way thru till the cinema theatre , and we process sound before mastering to get some warmth back . for sound as it is and behaves it works fine , so I was comparing both , sound and image .

james

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
James,
Another option is to scan your slides and then post process them digitally.
Slide shows work great with a high quality digital projector.
-bob

J

Jamesmd

thanks Bob, do you think a sony homecinema HD would do or is there any specific for photo , apart from Leicas one for obvious reason :(

James

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am not familiar with that one.
Check to se if it has a dvi interface, then drive it from a computer through that interface. There are also options for hdmi depending on your graphics card.
You might also want to consider profiling your projector, by developing an icc profile on the computer. I1 has some solutions for this as well as others.
-bob

J

Jamesmd

yes , it has dvi , there is some thant have CZ lenses to , Ill go and have a look what there is .

Thanks Sir.

J

Jamesmd

well HDMI and DVI is really the same thing only that HDMI holds video and sound signals and DVI only video. If I'm wrong please correct me .

James

J

Jamesmd

I do print (paper ) but I would like , if possible to print slide transparensy and see what comes out .

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Sorry, I must need more coffee. To be 100% clear, you want to have a paper print you can hold in your hand that is made directly from a transparency. Is that correct? The discussion of video projection or HDMI display is confusing me. Two different animals.

J

Jamesmd

no problem , I want to print on a printer a transparecy from a digital file :eek:
but , I don't know if its possible .

James

Arjuna

A. You can scan a transparency, and, from the digital file, make a print, on paper from it, no problem, I do it all the time.

B. From a digital file, you can print, e.g. on clear film, a 'transparency'. People do this in order to do some digital processing of an image, and then produce large negatives for contact printing, I believe. A normal printer would not likely produce a transparency with anywhere near the resolution of an original transparency from film, so I doubt that it would be very useful for creating a slide for projection in a slide projector. Probably OK for an overhead projector, if anyone still uses those.